Photo

Happy Birthday

Today, 02:06 PM

To the first Star Wars movie released to theaters on this day in 1977. In 1997 a modified film retitled to Star Wars: Episode IV "A New Hope" and re-released on DVDs with some CGI enhancements. It earned almost $800 million world-wide, out-grossing all other films at the time. Only losing that distinction in 1982 with the release of E.T. The Extra-terrestrial.

It was a few weeks before theaters in Mobile, AL started showing the film (I lived in Fairhope, AL at the time), and my wife and I stood in line for over an hour to get into the theater to see it.

40 Years ago. My how time flies!!!

16 Views · 4 Replies ( Last reply by ebrke )

Photo

The WannaCry scramble

Today, 01:05 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

A couple of weeks ago, possibly every security manager in the world was dealing with the repercussions of WannaCry, a ransomware worm that screamed across the internet and flooded the media. IT and security departments, placed on high alert, had to scramble — whether or not any of their systems had been infected. I was no exception.

View the full article

7 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

IDG Contributor Network: Twilio jumps on the serverless bandwagon

Today, 01:00 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

News from the second day of Twilio’s annual developer conference, Signal. While yesterday’s big news focused around end-user functionality (in particular speech recognition and understanding), today’s news is more down in the weeds but no less important for a company at the cutting edge of the developer experience.

You see developers are, by nature, tinkerers and like to experiment with new stuff. Sometimes this is simply professional interest, but often it’s because of an almost pathological desire to do things effectively, efficiently and elegantly. A case in point is the current developer move towards serverless technologies. First commercialized by Amazon Web Services (AWS) with its Lambda product, but now matched by offerings from the other cloud vendors, serverless approaches mean that developers don’t need to set up servers to run their applications, they can simply rely on setting triggers, logical steps and the cloud vendor takes over the rest.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

4 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 54 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Yahoo, Bing, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS