Ziff Davis / PC Magazine

ibe98765

benhenry Posted: Apr 2 2003, 06:33 AM QUOTE (ibe98765 @ Apr 2 2003, 01:04 AM) One of the problems with the net is it's so easy for anyone to post anything at all with absolutely no research or backing. If you can type, you can post. IMO, it's rude and disrespectful of others to shoot from the hip with no research. I agree.QUOTE (ibe98765 @ Apr 2 2003, 01:04 AM) Yes, PC Mag is now trying to charge for downloading their free utilities. That's because the magazine is hanging by a thread financially. There was talk that they would declare bankruptcy late last year but managed to get a loan to continue operations. It is unlikely that they will survive 2003. Hanging by a thread? Declare bankruptcy? That is simply untrue.Third Quarter ZiffDavis Financial Statement ------------------------------------------------------------As part of a back & forth on no support for attachments here, the above post was made by BenHenry in the bugs forum in response to my previous post. Since that thread has now been closed, I could not reply to the post where originally posted and a reply is necessary. So I copied it here. Hope you see it Ben!You seem to agree with me that you should do some research before you post anything to check your "facts". But instead, you clearly don't do any real research prior to posting your retort about Ziff-Davis and PC Magazine.If you had, you would find that Ziff-Davis avoided outright bankruptcy by filing a big restructure plan (just like did back in 1998). You posted an out-of-date financial statement from them (the 12/31 statement is available). Although ZD has positive results, they are still weak and face many challenges. Their stock symbol used to be ZD but nothing comes up under that now, so I have to assume that as in a true bankruptcy, their stock has either stopped trading or been delisted from the major exchanges.Given the poor economic conditions for advertising (did you know that Red Herring magazine recently closed down?), the fate of their remaining stable of 9 magazines is still up in the air. Personally, I do hope PC Magazine survives since I have an existing 2 year subscription. Here are a couple of link where you can read more about the restructuring that took place last August or September:Ziff Davis 1Ziff Davis 2

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, that's just too sad doesn't it? ZD is part of CNET, so if ZD is weak, I don't see how CNet is anywhere stronger. Nonetheless, I do agree that PC Magazine should try to survive..

The original utilities team from PC Magazine has left and formed their own company called Permutations Software. Their first utility was just released yesterday. Their utilities are not free, but they are inexpensive and high-quality.
(from the Lockergnome forums) Thanks aphoria.Wanted to share the knowledge.

So I copied it here.  Hope you see it Ben!You seem to agree with me that you should do some research before you post anything to check your "facts".  But instead, you clearly don't do any real research prior to posting your retort about Ziff-Davis and PC Magazine.
Well, I did find this post eventually... I admit that I'm not yet skilled in navigating my way around forums. In fact, it was just a few minutes ago that I read from another closed thread that I could lose the purple color and enjoy some blue. Groovy!Thank you for the links. I read them.I must make another admission. I have no business sense at all. But your statement that I did not research before I replied is not true. Although I did read that report from a biased perspective. I apologize. I thought that some of the statements concerning PC Mag's "strong market share" (>50%) meant that it was doing well, and being backed by a strong company. Again... I have no business sense. I thought this information was relevant and timely. And even though it bored me to tears, I tried to assimilate some of the information.Because I have little business acumen I have recently been spending time in forums like these, making electronic acquaintances, and enjoying the procedure of keeping a dinosaur computer alive... (instead of buying something more expensive, and more stable.) I came to this forum hoping to avoid the Microsoft treadmill of forced upgrades, but I stayed for the people.For the most part my experiences have been positive and enjoyable. Most people I have "met" in the electron soup here seem to be outstandingly generous with their time and efforts in an unusual community environment such as this. I like the team spirit I see here. And I am qualified to evaluate that particular social dynamic, because of a firm background in education, cognitive pyschology, and cultural anthropology.I replied to your posts in a somewhat terse and hasty manner because I perceived your series of posts prior to that one as being judgmental and confrontational.I hope that any future communication we may have will be mutually rewarding in a less accusatory and argumentative atmosphere.Ben

Oh cool! That last post to you, ibe98765, must have flipped my third button... So now I am an "advanced member." Nanny, nanny, boo boo ... :rolleyes:

Ready for the initiation rites? Been practicing the secret handshake? How could you, it's a secret!?! Welcome to the member level who's mascot is the "large-mouthed bass". Now go wait for the rest of us on the back 9.. We gotta use the cart to haul out the keg.

So I copied it here.  Hope you see it Ben!You seem to agree with me that you should do some research before you post anything to check your "facts".  But instead, you clearly don't do any real research prior to posting your retort about Ziff-Davis and PC Magazine.
<snipped>I replied to your posts in a somewhat terse and hasty manner because I perceived your series of posts prior to that one as being judgmental and confrontational.I hope that any future communication we may have will be mutually rewarding in a less accusatory and argumentative atmosphere.Ben
Sorry Ben, I didn't mean to sound confrontational. Pure text communication is difficult at best. I'm online a lot and it is frustrating how much junk content gets posted on the net. I'm certainly not always right and I have also been too quick to hit the send key myself. I simply want to encourage everyone to fully consider and review what they post, make sure they understand the subject and most importantly, make sure that the information they post is accurate. This will help us all. :rolleyes:

<snipped>Pure text communication is difficult at best.<snipped>
Understood.Have you checked out the recovery of the down-sized utility team at Permutations Software ?They seem to have survived the divorce from PC Mag. I hope they will be successful.