Who Wants to Try a New Browser?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Vivaldi

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

A Browser for Our Friends

In 1994, two programmers started working on a web browser. The idea was to make a really fast browser, capable of running on limited hardware, keeping in mind that users are individuals with their own requirements and wishes. Opera was born.

Our little piece of software gained traction, our group grew, and we formed a community. We stayed close to our users and our roots. We kept improving our software based on our user feedback, as well as our own ideas on how to make a great browser. We innovated and strove for excellence.

Fast forward to 2015. The browser we once loved has changed its direction. Sadly, it is no longer serving its community of users and contributors — who helped build the browser in the first place.

So we came to a natural conclusion: we must make a new browser. A browser for ourselves and for our friends. A browser that is fast, but also a browser that is rich in functionality, highly flexible and puts the user first. A browser that is made for you.

And so, Vivaldi is born.

—Jon

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I was trying it out, but the latest update won't install on my W10

Smart browser. ;)

• Like 1

Tried it; didn't care for it.

I was hoping there was a way to deal with flash. From my limited experiment, it seems like it is all or nothing.

I uninstalled it yesterday.

V.T. Eric Layton

New?? I was using it last year on my old netbook.

How'd you do that. It was just released v1.0 on the 6th of April.

V.T. Eric Layton

It's basically just Opera based on Chromium. Opera was an OK browser. My biggest complaint with it was that the devs tried to make it do everything in the world. It was just too much trouble to set up and use, as far as I was concerned. I really like simplicity now that I've gotten a bit older/wiser/lazier. This Vivaldi (another opera... get it?) is just a heavily loaded Chromium mutant from the looks of things. I don't know for sure because I can't build it for Slackware unless they offer a source package.

securitybreach

New?? I was using it last year on my old netbook.

How'd you do that. It was just released v1.0 on the 6th of April.

Magic.... ;)

Actually, this is from Feb 6th, 2015: Vivaldi browser hits 500,000 downloads in first 10 days It was a technical preview but when I used it (summer 2015), it was in the Archlinux AUR repos already.

If you want to try something completely different, install luakit. Raspberrians are likely familiar with it. If you figure out how to use it without resorting to a cheat sheet, let me know.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2