Connecting printer to XP PC via USB, port selection?

jeffw_00

Hi - My wife has a Xerox XD120f printer/copier (circa 2002), it has a Centronics (1284) connector. It still works, and we wanted to hook it up to our win XP machine (no drivers for windows 7 or 64b), via a USB-to-Centronics (1284) cable from Sabrent. I found the driver on the Xerox site and installed it. Wnen I connect the USB cable to the computer it wants to install a driver, which I don't have, but after it's connected and I run "Add Printer" the xd120f is a listed print driver, so that may be all I need.

Here's my issue: When I go through the Add Printer (local) dialog, I don't know what to select for printer port. I've tried the "Virtual Printer Port for USB" options (there are 3 of them) but the connection isn't being made. It seems like I need to somehow create a virtual LPT that is associated with the USB port that the printer is connected to and all will be well, can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!

/j

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have used Windows XP, but have you tried setting up the printer port separately as a USB-LPT port assigned to LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3, and then tried connecting the print and assigning it the LPT port in question?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks Goretsky - I think that's a good plan, and I don't mean to sound dim- but I'm not entirely sure how to do that, can you point me in the right direction? Am I creating a -new- port?

THanks!!!

/j

Hello,

Let's see... it's been a long time since I done anything with Microsoft Windows XP, but try the following:

1. Open the Control Panel.
  2. Select Printers and other Hardware.
  3. Select Add a Printer to launch the Add Printer wizard..
  4. Click on the Next button.
  5. The Local or Network Printer screen will appear.
  6. Select the Local printer attached to this computer option, de-select (uncheck) the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer option and click on the Next button.
  7. The Select a Printer Port screen will appear.
  8. Select Create a new port, chose Local port for the type and click on the Next button.
  9. The Port Name window will appear.
  10. Enter LPT for your port name and click on the OK button.
  11. The Install Printer Software screen will appear.
  12. Select the Xerox XD120f printer/copier if it is listed, or use the "Have Disk" option if it is not to install the driver.
  13. Finish the installation as you normally would

At this point, the printer should now appear be set up on the computer. However, you may still have to point it to the correct port. Here's how to do this:

1. Go to the Xerox XD120f listed under Printers, right-click on it, and select Properties from the context menu which pops up.
  2. The Xerox XD120f Properties dialog will appear.
  3. Click on the Ports tab.
  4. Here you should have a list of ports, including the LPT port you just created. Select (check) that, and click on the Configure Port button and select the USB to LPT adapter for the port.
  5. If that doesn't work, try clicking on the Add Port button, and adding the USB to LPT adapter for the port.

Like I said, it's been years since I've done this, so if that doesn't work, you may need to give Xerox or Sabrent a call and ask them for specific instructions. It may turn out, though, that the Xerox XD120f doesn't work with the USB to LPT adapter, requires a special one from Xerox, etc.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

Hi Aryeh - on #12 it was listed, and all went smoothly until second list #4 - It won't let me "Configure Port" "there is nothing to configure for this port", and when I do Add Port, I don't see the USB to LPT adapter on the list. (Although when I look at the About tab, I can clearly see the right driver is installed)

In Device Manager, I can see the printer, as an "Other Device" but not the adapter.

Any further thoughts? When I print, it seems to succeed (leaves the print job in the queue with "pages sent to printer") but nothing comes out at the printer. I still don't think the port we created is associated with the USB connection.

I have emailed Sabrent but they haven't been real helpful so far. I'm continuing to try, but any ideas you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

/j

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have similar enough hardware around me to specifically try and troubleshoot this. You might want to try a more general Windows support forum that caters to older devices, or try calling Sabrent or Xerox directly.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

thanks Temmu - I was able to get 2 "drivers" from Xerox - a small one that added the printer to the list of supported ones, and a big executable that, well, just hangs... I think I'm SOL but thanks for the help

Guest LilBambi

Now that you have all that installed, do a fresh boot and get any Windows Updates that might be available.

Reboot even if it does not require a reboot after the Windows Updates...might find your printer can at least print.

Don't hold your breath though...

Hello,

Perhaps if you get a PCI to IEEE-1284 (Centronics parallel printer interface) card for the computer you can connect it that way.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I use an antique HP Lazerjet 4050.That connects parallel to usb port . Never had any trouble with it . Just replaced the toner cartridge.

Really fast printer and worked first time when connected to Slack .