Fedora vs. Mageia

raymac46

Whenever I start exploring a new class of Linux distro, I always have the question:

Do I begin with a derivative and popular distro (say Linux Mint) or go with the real deal parent (Debian?)

In fact, with the latest on the rails install (Thinkpad 430) I chose Debian. Haven't been disappointed.

So I thought I might do the same exercise with the RPM distros Mageia and Fedora since both have spiffy new releases out there now. Note this is in VirtualBox. I don't think I'm going with RPM as my daily driver, although I have run Mandriva in the past. The comparison is between Fedora 25 and Mageia 6 RC.

Installation

Both easy with graphics installers. Both fast but I think Fedora might have the edge.

Guest Additions

Mageia for sure is better here. Guest Additions work right out of the box. Fedora has a build process similar to Debian but at the end everything works fine.

Desktop

Pick your poison. Fedora default is pure unadulterated GNOME Shell. Mageia has a lovely customized Plasma 5 desktop. Call it even.

Footprint

These are heavyweight distros and you'll want some horsepower and memory resources - especially if you are running in a Virtual Machine. Fedora might have a slight edge here.

Package Management

On the command line Fedora had yum and Mageia urpmi. Now both can use dnf. Fedora has a GUI called Software and Mageia has the incomparable Mageia Control Center it inherited from Mandriva. I'd say Mageia would be my choice here.

Non-free Software

Mageia packages a lot of the stuff you need right in its distro. Fedora is more difficult and you might have to get stuff like Flash and VirtualBox from the developer. Edge Mageia

The Future

Mageia seems to have risen from the ashes of Mandriva and - although it takes a long time for a new release to come out - seems pretty stable now. Fedora won't be going anywhere any time soon. Edge Fedora.

Bottom Line

If you are OK with Plasma, Mageia would be the way to go. If you want GNOME in all its pristine glory and you don't mind a little geeking around to set it up, Fedora is a fine choice.

• Like 4

Desktop

Pick your poison. Fedora default is pure unadulterated GNOME Shell. Mageia has a lovely customized Plasma 5 desktop. Call it even.

Many other DE/WM choices available, in both cases.

• Like 1

Desktop

Many other DE/WM choices available, in both cases.

Of course. Just looking at the defaults. In fact I used the Mandriva GNOME edition back in the day. However I had trouble with Mageia's GNOME implementation (wifi applet was buggy.)

Edited by raymac46

Did a massive Fedora upgrade from the command line using dnf upgrade. This stuffed the Guest Additions because I upgraded to kernel 4.11.3. The system still booted OK - just no wide screen. A reinstall of the Guest Additions fixed things - so Fedora appears to be a bit more stable if you update the kernel on VBox.