Guess What I did

havnblast

Well got the parts for the AMD 3200+ today and installed it windows XP wouldn't boot beyond the login box and Linux boot right up and worked - got to love Linux so silly me decides I better reinstall XP -- well if you can't get guess by now what happened you get to find out - lost the lilo boot up, things ya forget when you tired and in a hurry to play with a new toy.I have knoppix and no boot disk of course - figured why would I ever need one of those. So here I sit stuck in windows <_< actually thinking I will download the 64 bit Mandrake and install that.Barry - it sure is sweet - never seen XP work like this before.

nlinecomputers

Blast what distro are you running? Most distros the CD has a rescue mode. If all you have is Knoppix then you can boot with it and chroot your hard drive to run lilo and get your MBR back.

You mentioned Mandrake. I've hosed my bootloader from Mandrake more than once. All you have to do is boot the installation disc no.1, type "rescue" at the boot: prompt and it will guide you through to reinstalling lilo. <_< By the way, unless you have an Athlon64 processor, the 64 bit verion of Mandrake (or any OS) just won't run.Athlon 64 will run 32 bit OS however.

Knoppix ran just fine in 32 bit mode with the AMD 64 bit - it runs 32 bit OS's just fine. Dual booting XP 32 bit, which flies on it and downloading the Mandrake 64 bit right now - probably give that whirl. I have never seen Tribes 2 work so well before - all I can say is wow.Thanks for that suggestion - I will try it out tomorrow or shall I say later in the day when I get off work.

Kelly!!!!Hee Hee I Told ya!! Get the Mandrake 10 for 64 bit.(Bruno pointed it out to me..the sly Penguin he is)..you won't regret it..and if you think 32 bit OS's are fast on it...wait til ya get a 64 bit in there..if ya do get the winXP 64 you see even better performance than 32 bit XP (though not many apps, it's kind of hit and miss there.....only 1 AV program I've found actually works...McAfee) But for me Drake 10 was the complete package(plus Mandrake included the 32 bit emulator so you can stil run 32 bit from within 64 bit ...My only other suggestion would be to take the RAM to 1 Gb ( Just for the games).....................Welcome to the "Highlanders@ 64" club..hmmm not sure that work's..sounds like a bunch of old scotsmen warriors in bad kilts.Also ...Like Sunrat said use your Mandrake disk 1 , from the boot type'rescue" and reload your LILO...

Hey I am there Barry!! Mandrake 10 64 installed and posting with it!!! OMG it is unreal is all I can say - installed in like 7 minutes. I bit lost here in Mandrake at the moment tho, need to get my firefox installed. Seems like everything is working here just fine. This is going to take some getting use to tho. Did you do the 2.6 install too?

KellyOf course I did the 2.6.(I read part of it's development was with the 64bit in mind)..I noticed a big different with between 2.6 kernel and 2.4....(have you? ) .yea just play around in Drake, and get your bearings..get the things you want extra...make sure you check the MCC for any other packages you might want from the CD's...It is a blast...First thing I did was run over to www.kde-look.org and grabbed some of my fav wallpapers...Enjoy Dude!!!Bruno....So that's it..now I know ...you knew us AMD guys would need mandrake...oh..what an evil plan....That how you'll get Mandrake on every PC..and the stock prices...Did i mention Thanks!!!!! :P

Barry do you have a nvidia card on your system ?? - I believe I need to get that installed yet - where do you find MCC? I'll get there I promise - I am really happy with it so far, but unfortunately this Dude has to get to bed to work tonight yet, luckily I got the weekend off to play or I would be draggin my puter to work :P

Yes I have the Nvidia 5200FX...But using kernel set-up for now...However, the Nvidia has the latest and greatest Driver(have it DL'd just haven't installed...Lazy I am)...Just look for configure your computer in the menu bar and add software

Bruno....So that's it..now I know ...you knew us AMD guys would need mandrake...oh..what an evil plan....That how you'll get Mandrake on every PC..and the stock prices...Did i mention Thanks!!!!! :P
. . . . so you finally figured out my master plan . . . . . . :blink: :D . . . . . Now I even got Kelly running Drake . . . . . and my stocks are doing just fine . . . . :P . . Thanks ! :DB) Bruno

Barry . . once you downloaded the 1 GB of updates . . that one will run like a leopard too . . . LOL :DThe only thing I miss in Drake 10 is The Gimp 2.0 . . . but there is a rumour it is on the way . . . :)>_< Bruno

1 Gig of updates :) Well..ok(Thank God for Broadband)...I take it we are sorta of testers anyway :D ...They didn't claim the community release was stable...just Bleeding edge.......besides..it's free(God I'm so cheap)...I take it , the updates are probably Apps trying to keep up with the 2.6 kernel, then drake adaptation and follow-on bug clean up?...this ought to be fun ;) :o Oh well downloading now,,,probably will need a total redo of the P4.(that's ok too..I spend most of my time on the AMD anyway...so if that speeds that one up.. it might get more use ( instead of being the test plafform)>_< But me no thinks it will catch this baby... :) :) :devil:BTW remember that 233 Cyrix system I finally found a distro that works with it(think somebody here actually pointed it out..probably Quint, isn't he running like 6.7 million distros now)...Anyway, DSL's other cousin Featherweight Linux...go figure

Just a couple of questions for the AMD 64 bit folks I see here. Since I am considering building myself another machine and it will be AMD and I am leaning way over to the 64 bit cpu, I would like to find out if it is a special mainboard just for the 64 bit or does the standard socket 462 board a "good to go" with it. Second question... is anyone here running a multi processor mainboard? I would like to get some information about that type of system too.

Hey DaleYes you will need MOB specifically for the AMD 64..(pin counts are different , and also different amoung 64Bit processors too. I'm not running a dual..and I don't think kelly is either...(but I'm sure there's a few running dual AMDs or Intel. However look here http://www.planetamd64.com/and here http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...18_9485,00.htmlhttp://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/100amd64beta.php3You find all kinds of info on AMD set-up, Motherboards that work (Including dual processors) (except the Mandrake site...that's a shameless plug!!)Whichever you decide on ...Have funBarry

MSI K8T Neo is the motherboard I went with for my AMD - has to state for 64 bitI am finding that the Mandrake 10 64 bit is a bit buggy for me here - gonna have to probably do somthing else - although I do like the OS. Maybe I should go PCLinuxOS - I'm not up to doing the Gentoo thing yet. I had no luck getting the IA64 Nvidia driver to installed either in Mandrake.Hopefully Mandrake will continue to make the 64 bit more stable - I realise it is just beta yet, but I wanted to give it a whirl for the fun of it and enjoyed the experience.Barry did you by chance try out the update feature?? It tells me there is no updates available - just wondering if you get same message.longgone - it's a really nice processor - well worth the price. Playing some of the games in XP is like a brand new experience now that I can max everything out.

KellyYes did try the update feature...same reply..Maybe we get our updates after the 10 community get theirs .what are you finding Buggy? I haven't had any real issues.. :whistling:

Totem is crashing probably like 10-15 minutes of streaming audio - but the stream will still play. You can almost set you watch by it, so it's constantly doing it. Firefox will lockup randomly, XMMS will only start up from konsole - wont start up from the menu and same thing with Galeon web browser.That is what I have noticed thus far. :whistling:

Hmm I will have to check on the Totem...but I don't have the other issues..But then again, it seems that no 2 machines have the same issues... B)

XMMS will only start up from konsole - wont start up from the menu and same thing with Galeon web browser.
Kelly and Barry . . . simply open menudrake ( type menudrake in a console ) and edit the command for the xmms and Galeon entries to what you use as commnad in the console . . . . ;):w00t: Bruno