Transfering files from PC to Mac

jrock

Hi -I finally bought myself a Mac!!! I bought a Mac Mini to get things started. I wanted a MBPro, but it was too expensive right now and I'm always at my desk, so being mobile is not critical.So, I need to move files over to my Mac. Can I connect the two machines through a USB cable? It seems like things would go faster if I transferred everything through USB, instead of over the network. Any other suggestions on moving files over would be welcome!I'm bouncing off the walls for Friday to get here!!!

Guest LilBambi

Congrats jrock! I love my Mac Mini! I bet you will love yours as well!I used a USB external drive to copy my data files from my other computer to the Mac Mini. Worked great. B)

It's so BEAUTIFUL! I love my mac mini. I'm so happy to be in the world of Mac -- offically now!Now, my mac mini has been previously owned and it comes with all the goodies of the previous owner. But I noticed to day that in the Documents folder there are three "My" folders. My Pictures, My Video, My Music -- they look like MS folders. Is this because MS Office is installed on this machine? If not, any thoughts as to why they are there? Can I get rid of them?

I think if I were you I would be formatting the hard drive and re-installing everything fresh. It would be pretty disappointing if some little nasty had left a key stroke logger or something worse installed on the machine, wouldn't it? B)

Guest LilBambi

In Finder, when I open it. I see three thing at the top with a separator, thn a items in my own 'area':"Computer's Name" Mac MiniNetworkMacintosh HD--------Desktop"Computer Owner's folder"ApplicationsDocumentsMoviesMusicPicturesThey were all installed on the new installation of Mac OS X Tiger when I got it.There are no My This or That anywhere - only what I put under the folders listed above.When I got my Christmas Gift of my Mac Mini, the previous owner installed the OS fresh for me so I would get the 'New Mac Owner' experience.I too would suggest reinstalling if you have all the disks. That way you can get everything the way it came and can experience it like a new computer.:thumbsup:BTW: Congrats! B)

Unfortunately, I don't have all the disks and I'd hate to lose the applications. Roger2002, I hear your concerns and had them myself. Any thoughts on how to protect myself without having to reinstall everything -- such great apps I'd hate to lose!

If there's anything you want to uninstall, just drag it to the trash. There might also be a prefs file to delete, which would be in the prefs folder. If you want to monitor any outbound connections from your Mac, I highly recommend Little Snitch.

I guess that if I were in your position, I would make a new user account and then very thoroughly go through the old acct and pick and choose what you want to keep. Burn them to a disk and then put them into your new account. You should pay very close attention to where things were in the original acct and install them in the same place. OSX lets you install programs ANYWHERE you want to but all the original ones are supposed to be in the Applications folder on the root of the hard drive where they can be accessed by every user. If you post a list of what is in that folder we can tell you what is original and what isn't. If programs are there, you will not need to re-install them. After you have everything off the original user acct, delete it (you will have to make the new account an administrator). After that, you should make yourself another limited user acct that you use on an everyday basis and only log into the administrator acct if you really have to. Anything that needs administrator priveledges will ask for the password so that helps right off the bat in finding anything that is fishy but stupid. If there is a rootkit on the machine then you pobably won't find it that way. I would buy "Little Snitch" just as an extra insurance policy so that you will know what is going on in the back ground and I hear that there is a Rootkit Hunter available for OSX too. In a few weeks (months?) I would buy the new version of OSX Leopard that is due out for release if the hardware will run it. Then do a clean install and you will be as safe as you can make it. B)

Guest LilBambi

That sounds like a very reasonable way to go Roger2002 under the circumstances.I too would suggest buying Little Snitch. I did and haven't regretted it for one minute. It's the missing side of the Mac OS X built-in firewall that is more like Microsoft's firewall (only filters ingress/incoming). Little Snitch fills in that gap with egress/outgoing filtering so you know what is trying to phone home, etc.Rootkit Hunter is also available at VersionTracker:http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...p;mode=feedback