Hard Drive Fat table failure

kamicota

Hi Is there a hard Drive software to recover one with Fat Table being corrupted???Here's an idea of what happened--->>>Yesterday on the Quad up pops "running out of disk space" on drive J and K and heck there was only about a Gig on each with about 17+GB freeWent to copy files in PCLinuxOS 2009.1 and from My computer/Storage media and found there were a lot more partitions than previously--->>>Linux rootLinux HomeLinux Swapand 6 Fat 32 PartitionsIn Gparted 2.5.5 found--->>>Several MORE MS$ partitions showing for example --->>>17G on a 548MB partition and 17gb freea 1.58GB partitiona 2GB Partitionetc etc etcThere were now3 x Linux Root3 x Linux Home3 x Linux SwapAnd as many as 17+ partitions on the hard driveOne fat16Several of these shown as UNKNOWN partitions alsoFriend told me this was a hard drive with Fat Table corruptedAM replacing it with a Seagate 7200.11 320GB but--->>>Could this one be repaired and used as an external hard driveIf SO what software would anyone recommendCheers for yearsColin

Edited by kamicota

You should be able to just delete all the partitions on that disk, and start over. The only real question is the age of the disk, and how long it might last.

Testdiskhttp://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDiskHowever: that's not for the faint of heart.

Could this one be repaired and used as an external hard drive
Just like mlangdn said start over: use it for ex. as a slave drive, pop in the Mandriva disk and delete its partitions. Then start over creating new ones and format them. Reboot and you're all set.edit by striker: added the download link.

Striker mlanglinThat's what I did --->>>DELETED ALL partitions with Gparted installed XP repartitioned 5 for Windows and 3 for Linux.Installed XP and then Formatted the 3 for Linux with Gparted and installed PCLinuxOS 2009.1 And intention is to Buy a new 320G Seagate 7200.11 Sata 11 to replace this oneAlso thinking this may be used for an externalCheers for yearsColin B)

Hello,Have you tested the hard disk drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic program? If so, did it report any errors with the actual hard disk drive?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks AryehDownloaded and --->>>Just did the--->>>>

Western DigitalData Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive. EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive. Both Passed B) Now seems as if there are two Decisions 1 Do I STILL buy a new Drive especially after the 17 Partitions saga2 Do I wipe it with Western Digital's --->>>WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Now seems as if there are two Decisions 1 Do I STILL buy a new Drive especially after the 17 Partitions saga2 Do I wipe it with Western Digital's --->>>WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:
I vote for going ahead and doing the long write-zeros test. Might take a couple hours, but at the end you'll know that any bad or inconsistent sectors have been remapped out of visibility. THEN go ahead and repartition and format as you like. If the write-zeros routine finds something it can't fix, you'll be informed and then you can make a rational decision how to proceed with the drive.

Thanks BurninbushLove the common sense behind this BUT B) --->>>Whether an impatient November's Child can both wait that long or hold his breath for a possible message "can't fix this" gives me the "collywobbles" right now even before this decision is made Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

[Edited parenthetical comment to fix typo. AG]Hello, Well, if you want to try and recover some of the data off the hard disk drive, here is a list of data recovery programs I have been keeping. Some of these are free programs, while others are commercial, going up to about $500.00 or so for enterprise or technician licenses. Many have evaluation copies, though, that will read--but not restore--data so that you may evaluate them.Acronis - RecoveryExpert Advanced NTFS Recovery - NTFS Recovery (may handle FAT32 as well) BriggSoft - Directory Snoop Convar - PC Inspector File Recovery DIY Data Recovery - iRecover DTI Data - Recover It All DataRescue.Com - PhotoRescue (intended for flash RAM cards, which are typically formatted with FAT, may work with other devices as well) File-Recovery.Net - Active@ File Recovery Fsys Software - DFSee Gibson Research Corp. - Spinrite Higher Ground Software - Hard Drive Mechanic Gold LC Technology - FileRecovery Pro LSoft Technologies - Active-Undelete and Active-File Recovery (might be able to handle some drive errors) Naltech - Multi Data Rescue (optical discs only?) Nucleus Tecnologies - Kernel Recovery for FAT+NTFS Ontrack Data Recovery - Easy Recovery Professional Paragon Software Group - Paragon Rescue Kit Piriform - Recuva ProSoft Engineering - Data Rescue PC Quetek Consulting Corp. - File Scavenger R-Tools Technology - R-Studio Data Recovery Recover Data - Windows Data Recovery Runtime Software - GetDataBack Smart PC Solutions - Smart FAT Recovery SoftLogica - Handy Recovery Stellar Information Systems - Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery TOKIWA - DataRecovery (erased files only?) Zero Assumption Recovery - ZAR32 for Windows I have used the programs from DataRescue, Naltech and Runtime and had good results. If you do choose one, please post the results and let us know how things work out. Regards, Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh B) for such a comprehensive list of recovery softwareBut I have all my Graphics Photo/Poems and Programs both on an external hard drive plus on USB Flash Drives A double idemnity so to speak and just do a reinstall of all programs together with every new graphic or poem I have wroteSo at this point in time KNOW :sweatingbullets: where to come if ever this is needed Cheers for yearsColin :D Aryeh

Aryeh, your post should be stickied. Definitely worth it because we now and then see questions about/for it.