8Gb limitation for BSD?

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

I don't know how many of you actually know about it, but FreeBSD/OpenBSD has 8Gb limitation, which means that /root must be within the first 8Gb of a hard drive for it to run properly or else you will get error messages like "Magic..."Does anyone actually have any solutions to it? I don't really want to use BSD's boot manager to boot my Windows Xp partition, so it is a tough one.Anyone has encountered such thing in the past? If so, feel free to provide your experiences ^_^ Thanks.On the other hand, now I find Linux is much more flexiable than BSD is? Why don't they fix that limitation? BSD also doesn't check for your hard drive spinning speed (like say 7200 RPM), so technically the RPM information you get from BSD is always incorrect... According to their documentation, they basically said just ignore it..due to historical architecture for BSDThunder

SonicDragon

I also just read that they have a 64 MB lmitation on RAM, but there was a workaround listed. I've been trying to install freebsd resently, but i can't even get the installer to start ^_^ .Strange B)

Guest ThunderRiver
I also just read that they have a 64 MB lmitation on RAM, but there was a workaround listed.  I've been trying to install freebsd resently, but i can't even get the installer to start  ^_^ .Strange B)
Not strange heh. me either. I can't get it to start at all... the installation just stucks at hardware detection..forever and everOn the other hand, OpenBSD doesn't get stuck..so I am going with it..but it still has 8Gb limitation as well..so BSD is now a logo to me as I plan to expand WinXp partition. I still have one box running OpenBSD 3.2 so that's good..

Guest ThunderRiver
Anyone got a song for BSD installation blues? :D
haha..you are funny.. nope not really..but I do find a OpenBSD song in its OpenBSD ftp site.. quite nice :-p