Dial Modem/Router

Squire

Does anyone know where you can purchase a dial up modem/router? My EXP ThinConnect4 router is beginning to give me problems and the company no longer supports them. I recently purchased a Accton Cheetah iSharer-3010 router but it no longer is supported by the manufacturer either. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lucent's Orinoco wireless product line used to have both a RJ-45 and an RJ-11 port. I don't know if there's a derivative product that still does this. You'd think there'd HAVE to be a product that does what you're looking for, but I am not aware of one. I'd be very interested, in fact, to learn of one.-- Scot

Guest ComputerBob
I'd be very interested, in fact, to learn of one.
So would I. Every time I've ever asked, people have told me that most DSL routers also work with dial-up, but when I've looked in stores and online, I've never found one that does. :huh:

Heavy iron like a Cisco 805 has a serial port that you could connect a dial up modem to, like a US Robotics Sportster? The Cisco router assumes a CSU/DSU for a WAN link, but the software configures for a dial-up.On Ebay these are probably available reasonably.BTW, you would need a mini-serial to DB9 adaper for the modem.Bruce

Thanks to all who responded to my question. For the most part, almost all are not applicable to my situation except one manufactured by Hawking Technologies PN8228. It fits the criterea with the exception of a firewall. It also is the most reasonable cost wise. I'll consider this one as I continue looking. Thanks again for your input. It is appreciated and valued.Squire

Guest LilBambi

There mayight be something in Tim Huggins Hardware Router Guide which gives you a chance to choose how you wish to connect.Upon doing the search on that page, I found several, including:Asante Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 Cable/DSL Router (FR3004LC) Fast router with optional built-in Win printserver and ability to use with Dialup modem or ISDN TA. Different package, but twin to SMC Barricade. ($150)D-Link Cable/DSL Internet Gateway (DI-804) 4 port 10/100 switched broadband router. Firmware upgrade adds UPnP support. Also supports auto-failover to dialup WAN connection. ($100)MultiTech RouteFinder (RF500S) 4 port 10/100 switched router with auto-failover to dialup connection. Also has built-in Remote Access Server (RAS) for dial-in users. ($199)SMC Barricade 4 Port 10/100 Broadband Router - 'A' Model (SMC7004ABR) Fast, basic, router with built-in Win/LPR printserver. Can use with Dialup modem or ISDN TA. ($77)And a whole bunch more at varying price ranges!Hope this will help.