About my set up

L_P

Here's how my pc's are set up-I have 4 towers (1 is waiting for a new hard drive), and only 1 monitor, due to space constraints. My towers are all networked and online through a 4 port router. I run my 2 main use towers through a 2 port KVM.My problem was wanting to be able to access and control all 4 towers without spending yet more money on a new KVM switch.I tried using XP's remote access, etc, and couldn't get them to work, for whatever reason.I solved the problem by using a program called realVNC. It allows you to remotely control any one of the towers from any of the other towers. You may ask- why 4 towers? Because I'm a geekette.I like building and possessing the toys of my "trade". :D

realVNC is a great program for remote access... RDC (remote desktop connection) is okay, but from what I've found, if you have the bandwidth, realVNC works much better. Being it's own program, you can run a complete full-screen setup, unlike running RDC through a browser. VNC is real easy to setup and run... I use it to access my home pc from work.RealVNC homepageAnd the best part about it is that it's FREE!!!

Here's my geek setup:4-port KVM switch controlling the following:

• Pentium 4 1.6GHz (my main Windows XP system),
  • Pentium 233 MMX (Windows 2000 Server Active Directory domain controller for the home network running DHCP, DNS, Remote Access and Routing for VPN and web-based Terminal Server so that I can remote desktop into any Win XP/2000 machine on the network)
  • AMD K6-2 500MHz (my XOSL multiboot test system that currently boots Windows NT 4 Pro, Windows XP Pro, Windows 98 SE, and eventually Windows 2000 Pro and either RedHat 8.0 or 9.0, maybe both!)
  • Pentium 233 MMX (my Windows 2003 Server release candidate 2 test box which I sometimes re-ghost to a Red Hat 7.3 box to test Samba and other kernel hacks.)

My daughter has a Pentium III 700MHz Windows XP machine.All the machines sit on the same subnet via a Linksys 4-port firewall/router and a 5-port Linksys switch uplinked to the router.I too can't bear to part with some of these toys. The spare PCs have been built from various parts that came out after various upgrades, donations, and etc.

I agree, VNC is a pretty neat little program, I've been goofing around with it for a couple of months. I used it to control an old Pentium box I was using as a print server. It's seems failrly quick, one of my buddies and I used it over the 'net as an experiment. I could run his machine from here with ease, because we're both on cable, we had zero latency to contend with, which really helped. Overall, for a free remote access program, real nice. ;) Chris