• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

I have a wonderful Patriot 16GB USB 3.0 drive that suddenly decided to puke on me.

It was not working right on any type of computer; corrupted data and read only. You could see nothing even if it was viewable. And you couldn't even reformat it because EVERYTHING including Linux thought it was read only.

I did some searching around and the first result in a Google search had the answer:

Patriot Axle 16gb, "write protected" "corrupt"

In that topic on the Patriot Forums, this is the thing that worked for me:

Can you please see if our low level format/reset tool will restore the drive for normal use? Please give it a try. Please note that the formatter must be done on a PC. You can extract it to the desktop and run it from there.

Here is the link to the formatter:
http://www.patriotme....re/Restore.rar

Thanks you Patriot Forums' Patriot_Ben! Would have hated to lose that wonderful 16GB Drive!

So far so good. I have reformatted it three times and am in the process of copying all the stuff I had on it before.

I just hope it does not mean that the chip is starting to fail....

Edited by LilBambi, 22 June 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Same thing happened with a  16$ 64gb Intenso . usb drive . The distributor got so many of them back they discontinued the line.
I was stumped . so brought it to the Nephew . He d/loaded the kicker and installed it write protect. From his PC. Its perfect now filled and emptied with lotsa movies  regularly. . But **no format*
no way . Just delete files only ==/dev/null.
Linux counter no . 393441

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Wow! You got lucky, Fran! :)

Remember folks, nothing is forever.

https://en.wikipedia...Write_endurance

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

If I can't format it safely, it's of no use to me. I had to test it with format. I use this on other people's computers and you just never know when you will need to use Linux to remove the partition and reformat it.

I don't use it on known bad computers, but there are some where I didn't realize they had a problem and before i use it anywhere else, it's wiped in Linux ... partition and formatting.

Haven't had to do it very often but you just never know...

I usually use CDs and DVDs to work on sick computers though.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

So glad others have found these low level formatters work for them too.

What make was yours Capt.Crow, Intenso? Never heard of it. But I also got a general formatter that can be used for others from that forum topic as well.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patriot, 16gb, usb, drive, flash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users