• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well, folks...The time has come. I've come to the conclusion that, as a Slacker, Arch Linux is probably much more closer to my philosophy on GNU/Linux than good ol' Debian is. For that reason, I've decided to install Arch Linux in my #2 (secondary OS) slot on my system. I may install Debian Squeeze on one of my experimental slots later on, though.So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)

#2 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 12:02 PM, said:

Well, folks...The time has come. I've come to the conclusion that, as a Slacker, Arch Linux is probably much more closer to my philosophy on GNU/Linux than good ol' Debian is. For that reason, I've decided to install Arch Linux in my #2 (secondary OS) slot on my system. I may install Debian Squeeze on one of my experimental slots later on, though.So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)
Wishing you all the luck in the world Eric.  If someone like me with VERY limited linux experience can install Arch with KDE someone like you could do this with your eyes closed.  But becareful.  You may just find yourself becoming more of an Archer then a Slacker.  ;)All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase, 11 February 2011 - 11:10 AM.

Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postichase, on Feb 11 2011, 10:09 AM, said:

Wishing you all the luck in the world Eric.  If someone like me with VERY limited linux experience can install Arch with KDE someone like you could do this with your eyes closed.  But becareful.  You may just find yourself becoming more of an Archer then a Slacker.  ;)All the best,Ian
Actually Eric was running Arch before I had even heard of it. Eric and Steel are the ones who got me first interested in Archlinux. He will be fine since this is not his first "rodeo".
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Woo-Hoo! That took all of about 45 minutes. Arch is installed and its GRUB is controlling my MBR now. All's well. I have to get in there and fancy it up a bit now. ;)I know the trick to installing Arch, Ian. Shhhhh... don't tell anyone I told you, but...I copy the Arch Wiki installation guide into a text file a place it on my common partition on one of my secondary drives along with a text version of Josh's tutorial for installing Arch. Once I start the Arch install with /arch/setup, I then ALT + F2 to get another command line. I mount the common partition and "cat" the Arch Wiki guide here, so I can read it during the installation by just going back and forth between F1 and F2. I set Josh's tutorial up the same way on F3. On F4, I have an open command line for other utility needs during installation... fdisk parted, etc.Multi-user mode... GOOOOD! Try that in MS Windows. HA! B)

#5 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

Posted ImageYou'll soon get the hang of things   B)

Edited by abarbarian, 11 February 2011 - 12:38 PM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 01:23 PM, said:

Woo-Hoo! That took all of about 45 minutes. Arch is installed and its GRUB is controlling my MBR now. All's well. I have to get in there and fancy it up a bit now. ;)I know the trick to installing Arch, Ian. Shhhhh... don't tell anyone I told you, but...I copy the Arch Wiki installation guide into a text file a place it on my common partition on one of my secondary drives along with a text version of Josh's tutorial for installing Arch. Once I start the Arch install with /arch/setup, I then ALT + F2 to get another command line. I mount the common partition and "cat" the Arch Wiki guide here, so I can read it during the installation by just going back and forth between F1 and F2. I set Josh's tutorial up the same way on F3. On F4, I have an open command line for other utility needs during installation... fdisk parted, etc.Multi-user mode... GOOOOD! Try that in MS Windows. HA! B)
NICE!!!!!  I did things the old fashion way printed the Arch wiki along with Josh's tutorial and put them in my binder.  I like your idea much more.  Especially if you can cut and paste from the wiki.  :thumbsup:Ian
Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 10:02 AM, said:

Well, folks...So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)
Welcome to the hurd! I am a big fan of Debian, but I rarely use it anymore as Arch has everything I need.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

I guess I'm a Slacker-Archer now. ;)I'm installing Xfce as I type (I'm on the lappy). I have the Arch Wiki open here also. I'll have Arch rockin' along pretty soon. B)

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Xfce is up and running. I'm starting my customizations now. B)

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 02:51 PM, said:

Xfce is up and running. I'm starting my customizations now. B)
Sweet!! Off to work for a few hours.....

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

OK, I'm in Arch/Namaroka browser posting this right now.I have to refresh my memory on making PKGBUILDS in Arch because I need to grab DropBox from the AUR and install it. That's where I'm headed right now.I know I'll end up with some minor bugs (like no sound, currently), but most are easily fixed. It'll probably take me a couple more days to get Arch up-to-snuff as my secondary OS. No biggie. FUN, actually! :)

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

And VOILA!Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 04:54 PM, said:

OK, I'm in Arch/Namaroka browser posting this right now.I have to refresh my memory on making PKGBUILDS in Arch because I need to grab DropBox from the AUR and install it. That's where I'm headed right now.I know I'll end up with some minor bugs (like no sound, currently), but most are easily fixed. It'll probably take me a couple more days to get Arch up-to-snuff as my secondary OS. No biggie. FUN, actually! :)
Use yaourt to fetch DropBox: http://archlinux.fr/yaourt-enThen as user:
yaourt -S dropbox

#14 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

I installed it with a PKGBUILD. It wasn't no biggie. It's pretty similar to SlackBuilds, actually. :)Had a minor audio issue, but resolved that easily (thanks to notes from a previous Arch install). Music playing now... The Corrs - Only When I Sleep. :)I have an annoying issue with Thunar displaying all the unmounted partitions on all my drives. That's a pain in the eye. I fixed that in Gnome once using a 10-ignore-disks rule in the /etc/hal directory, but I don't know how to do it with Thunar. I think I had this issue in Zenwalk with Thunar one time. I'll have to check my notes.

#15 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

Now playing: Descent Into Cerberon - Sonic Mayhem

#16 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

Pretty sweet, Eric - congratulations!  :)
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#17 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

It's all in the wrist. ;)Now playing: Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage

#18 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

Well you still need yaourt to upgrade any PKGBUILDS from AUR. Yes you can manually install PKBUILDS but using makepkg and use pacman -U package.tar.gz to install them but they will never be updated unless you use yaourt. Pacman will only upgrade packages in the official repost but will not touch AUR packages.

#19 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:07 AM

I've made a note of it. I'll set it up in the next day or so. Tired. Going to bed now. It was a constructive day. :)

#20 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 12 2011, 12:07 AM, said:

I've made a note of it. I'll set it up in the next day or so. Tired. Going to bed now. It was a constructive day. :)
Ok, have a nice rest buddy :)BTW I like your new signature image!!! Although, should the Arch symbol not be the A in Arch instead A Arch? Just my opinion....NM, I see they do the same thing on the officical Arch logo

#21 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 11:42 PM, said:

It's all in the wrist. ;)Now playing: Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage
Brilliant

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#22 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,028 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

View Postamenditman, on Feb 12 2011, 12:24 AM, said:

Brilliant
Great song, I love the guitar rifts!!! :)

#23 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 11:42 PM, said:

"Prelude to Madness" is an arrangement of Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King from the Peer Gynt suite. Oddly, Grieg is not credited for this song, but for the following title track - which ironically, is an original song. The intro of "Prelude to Madness" features keyboards and guitar playing "Mars, the Bringer of War" from Gustav Holst's suite, The Planets.-WikipediaI learn something new every day!
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#24 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 11 2011, 02:28 PM, said:

I guess I'm a Slacker-Archer now. :hysterical:
Shouldn't that be Slarcher? :)
Sue
Registered Linux User #433538
A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?

#25 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostSueD, on Feb 12 2011, 07:42 AM, said:

Shouldn't that be Slarcher? :hysterical:
HAHA!  :) Oh, and in case you all didn't know... Savatage started out as a local Tampa area band.  :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users