Windows 7

marcos9999

I have Dell Core 2 Due running Vista. I'm debating whether install Sys 7. Will it make my computer run better, better memory use perhaps? It's not bad as it is...should I bother to change or just buy another computer with Sys 8 upcoming...

Thanks

I have Dell Core 2 Due running Vista. I'm debating whether install Sys 7. Will it make my computer run better, better memory use perhaps? It's not bad as it is...should I bother to change or just buy another computer with Sys 8 upcoming...

Thanks

I updated from Vista to Win7. Definitely worth doing. System is more responsive, less drag time when pc kept on for long periods of time and the non-Aero interface is smoother (I don't really use Aero).

Go for it.

no comparison!

win 7 is at least an order of magnitude faster than vista.

win 7's code base is 1/2 the size of vista's.

win 7 annoys less for "do you really want to do that" stuff

vista is to win 7 as m.e. (messed-up edition) is to xp.(1)

win 7 is what vista should-a been.

note

1 - if u never experienced messed up edition, just imagine it as a tree sap all over your shiny new car.

I forgot about the less annoying UserControl. Yes, that is a major benefit as well.

Temmu, how did you :teehee: end up with WinME? (might be subject for a different post)

I forgot about the less annoying UserControl. Yes, that is a major benefit as well.

Temmu, how did you :teehee: end up with WinME? (might be subject for a different post)

I guess it's looking like W 7 soon...

Thanks

Hello,

I think you will find that your system feels much faster after switching from Microsoft Windows Vista to Microsoft Windows 7. One of the major efforts Microsoft undertook with the newer operating system was to increase responsiveness throughout the OS, and that is most readily noticeable in operations using the GUI.

One thing I would suggest is performing a clean install of Windows 7, as opposed to upgrading over Windows Vista. While I am told this scenario actually works quite well, I have never used it myself. It might take a longer to reinstall your applications and reload your data from backups, however, the advantage will be that you now have a pristine operating environment, as opposed to one containing all of the software and changes made on the system during the Windows Vista installation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

[...]

One thing I would suggest is performing a clean install of Windows 7, as opposed to upgrading over Windows Vista. While I am told this scenario actually works quite well, I have never used it myself. It might take a longer to reinstall your applications and reload your data from backups, however, the advantage will be that you now have a pristine operating environment, as opposed to one containing all of the software and changes made on the system during the Windows Vista installation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If budget is tight, the update version should do quite well. I did an update over msVista with only benefits, no problems.

If budget is tight, the update version should do quite well. I did an update over msVista with only benefits, no problems.

You can do a clean install of Win7 using an upgrade disc or the full version. If you use the former, it will check for a qualifying operating system (Vista/XP) as part of the setup process. It will not ask you for the installation disc as it checks the hard drive for an existence of Vista or XP. A clean install is what I recommend to anyone who wants to upgrade.

Edited by Tushman

You can take Windows 7 for a test ride if you wish.

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition trial version - 90 day trial - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 - 180 day trial - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd459137.aspx

Both are Windows 7 SP1 build 7601; Server R2 has additional features.

Wipe the HDD with KillDisk first to remove all remnants of prior Windows OS.

Download one of the trial version ISO and burn to DVD-R with Imgburn

Be sure to back up your personal files first.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

welcome, jcgriff2!

...and you are right, server 2008 r2 can make an excellent desktop os!

For someone like Marcos9999 who is a computer novice, using Windows Server 2008 is complete overkill. He would barely even scratch the surface in terms of capability & features. Not to mention the fact that's more expensive compared to Win 7 Pro/Win 7 Home for single license use. The home version is sufficient for the vast majority of home users.

Edited by Tushman