"The Cloud"

lewmur

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the appeal of "The Cloud". The only good use I can imagine for it is to store Lois Lerner's emails where she can't delete them.

Every time I install a new ROM on one of my tablets, one of the first things asked in setting it up is to sign up for a Dropbox account. When I first access the camera I'm asked again if I want to "share" my photos. Set up my Google Account? It wants to backup my apps and data to "the cloud".

When local data storage is so cheap, and so much faster, why would I want to put my stuff in "the cloud" where every hacker in the world get at and often destroy it. And how many "data services", such as Kodax's photo sharing, have either been discontinued or suffered catastrophic failure?

The recent celebrity nude photo hacks? While it involved individual accounts rather than the servers themselves that were hacked, they weren't "social media" accounts either. They were accounts set up to "save" photos in "the cloud".

Then comes online apps like MS Office. If you have a large document, it is going to take MUCH longer to load from "the cloud" than it would from your HDD. But what about "collaborative works", you ask? IMO, there are much better ways to share the work than trusting it to "the cloud".

But "the straw that broke the camels back" for me was an email I received asking if I wanted to access my latest medical test results "online". Seems they are being stored in "the cloud" whether I like it or not. My only choice was if I wanted access to them myself.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton
The only good use I can imagine for it is to store Lois Lerner's emails where she can't delete them.

BAHAHAHA! :hysterical:

Seriously, though...

Most everyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of the Cloud. The main reason is security issues. I use pseudo-cloud apps like MS One Drive, Google Drive, and Dropbox, but I NEVER put anything on someone else's servers that is of a private nature or of critical importance. When I do occasionally upload something temporarily that I may want to grab from another system, I encrypt (just to whiz off the hackers ;) ) it even if it's nothing private or critical.

[/size][/font][/color]

BAHAHAHA! :hysterical:

Seriously, though...

Most everyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of the Cloud. The main reason is security issues. I use pseudo-cloud apps like MS One Drive, Google Drive, and Dropbox, but I NEVER put anything on someone else's servers that is of a private nature or of critical importance. When I do occasionally upload something temporarily that I may want to grab from another system, I encrypt (just to whiz off the hackers ;) ) it even if it's nothing private or critical.

I use MediaFire occasionally when I have a file I want to send someone, that is too large to email. But won't even let Dropbox exist on my tablets for fear it will "do me a favor" and upload stuff IT thinks I want to save.

I just got a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 that I love but even though I refused to create a Dropbox account during the setup, I still found it updating the Dropbox app, along with about a dozen other things I didn't want, as soon as I logged into Play Store. Google Play Store is getting almost as bad with bloatware as the third party junk that comes with pre-installed Windows.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I've never had any issues with Dropbox in Linux or Windows. The application will notify me that there's a newer version available in Windows, but in Linux it's purely a manual thing to update the application.

Guest LilBambi

If you want encrypted content that you hold the keys for either encrypt it before you put it up there, or use something like SpiderOak where you hold the keys and they mean it.