• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

amenditman, i resemble that! i read the entire foundation series...
Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

I wouldn't want to read a lot of Dickens stuff together but actually did read the Foundation series all together. I sometimes binge on authors. Might have started when I would borrow books from my grandmother, she always put them in sets of 6-8 covered in plastic so I would borrow them like that.
Registered Linux User #554733

#28 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostWebb, on 20 January 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

You could alternate reading a Dickens novel, then a Vonnegut novel, then a Dickens novel, then a Vonnegut novel ...

Now your cooking with gas. :whistling:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

I love all the books that abarbarian disliked! As well as those he liked....I just have a passion for books and reading!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#30 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

View Postrolanaj, on 21 January 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't want to read a lot of Dickens stuff together but actually did read the Foundation series all together. I sometimes binge on authors. Might have started when I would borrow books from my grandmother, she always put them in sets of 6-8 covered in plastic so I would borrow them like that.

Me too! I have read the Robot Novels so many times! They are like old friends! And the rest of the Foundation Series a few times over the years. I love them!

But I really do binge at times on authors and I have so many authors I love!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#31 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 21 January 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

I love all the books that abarbarian disliked! As well as those he liked....I just have a passion for books and reading!

Not averse to Dickens just that I prefer to watch the movies. We have tons of versions of the same Dickens stories over here. :shifty:
Install ARCH

#32 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

https://www.humblebu...ac4d94-96436093

The Humble Audiobook Bundle featuring Recorded Books

Eight thrilling narratives. The Humble Audiobook Bundle features eight brilliant audiobooks from the world's largest independent publisher and distributor of unabridged audiobooks, Recorded Books. Pay what you want for The Satanic Verses, Stolen, Abandon, Junky and Found. If you choose to pay more than the average price, you’ll also receive A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Blood Meridian and On a Pale Horse. Grab this bundle and listen to these captivating anecdotes on-the-go! Click on the icons above for descriptions of each book.
Pay what you want. These eight audiobooks would cost you nearly $685, but you get to name your price!

I know I know these are not books in the conventional sense. I have read a couple of them in dead wood form though.
An it is a barnstormingly good eclectic deal. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#33 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Yes, there has been some absolutely fantastic Dickens adapted to the big and little screen. :yes:

#34 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 16 January 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Hmm... may have to have a looksee at that Alchemist fellow. :yes:

OK... just put it on a hold at my local library. I'm 3rd on the list with 3 available copies in the system; shouldn't have to wait too long.

Picked up The Alchemist this morning from the library. Took a while to get the darned thing. I can't believe that the system has 4 or 5 editions and they're all booked solid 5 and 6 Holds each. I'm lucky that it only took me just under a month to get a copy.

I'll be starting it (and finishing it) later this evening. It's a little book. If it's as good as everyone says, I'm going to be wishing it were bigger. :yes:

Off to go watch the wonderful news on TV now. Joy!

#35 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Better to simply read the book. :D

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

I did get the latest Audiobook Humble Bundle and have 'read' two of them so far and they were very good! Can't wait till I can get the rest. Cursed bandwidth limitations!!!!! A couple are over 1GB and others close to it. :wacko:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I finished The Alchemist earlier this morning. I'll use the author's own words from the Prologue to describe it...

"'A lovely story', the alchemist thought."

#38 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Cool!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

It was just a bit too religious/self-help oriented for my tastes, but it was a "lovely story." :yes: Don't let this comment of mine here stop you from reading it, though. There are some tid-bits of wisdom in the pages, regardless of one's beliefs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading, health, benefit, unconventional, read

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users