New AT&T email settings

lewmur

Anybody else receive a notice from AT&T to change your email settings? I went to the site and it said to change POP3 server to inbound.att.net port 995 and SMTP to outbound.att.net port 465. I did so in Thunderbird and it didn't work. Had to switch back to mail.bellsouth.net port 110 to get my emails.

Anybody else receive a notice from AT&T to change your email settings? I went to the site and it said to change POP3 server to inbound.att.net port 995 and SMTP to outbound.att.net port 465. I did so in Thunderbird and it didn't work. Had to switch back to mail.bellsouth.net port 110 to get my emails.

No, and I have had AT&T account for years. Thunderbird set up my account for me automatically when I started using it. It is using the pop3 server and port you were told to use, but I can't find SMTP settings anywhere in the thunderbird Server Settings, only POP3???

EDIT: Found it--yea, outbound.att.net, port 465. Wonder why it isn't working for you?

Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

They are switching to IMAP. You have to create a new account with the new IMAP settings.

AT&T is late to the game ... adding IMAP.

Are you using SSL/TLS security? Authentication method normal password?

They are switching to IMAP. You have to create a new account with the new IMAP settings.

Yes, and the new online layout is UGLY and hard to use and not designed for my browser or openSuSE or something. That's one reason I started using Thunderbird.
  • Like 1

I added a new account in Thunderbird and it automatically found the new inbound and outbound servers with the new ports and created the account with SSL set. But it still says its a POP account. I'll have to wait to see if I actually receive any email through the new account.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Since the server is deciding through the automatic setup, all settings will be right. Should work fine regardless of whether they are calling it POP with SSL or IMAP.

I added a new account in Thunderbird and it automatically found the new inbound and outbound servers with the new ports and created the account with SSL set. But it still says its a POP account. I'll have to wait to see if I actually receive any email through the new account.

Thunderbird handled it for me too, and my settings still say POP3. Glad it worked for you.

Guest LilBambi

Actually, you don't have to set up your email manually with Thunderbird these days. It mostly gets it right the first time... all on it's own by querying the server for how it is setup.

Spam on the other hand ... that's a horse of a different color....

amusing in a sad way: you'd think by now that email clients would have enough intelligence to discover what the provider is doing, or at the least, have a static list of current major provider's configs (updatable at a regular frequency.) email is not rocket science, you can send mail from your command prompt. (it's handling vast qtys, spam and malware that adds complexity.)

Thunderbird did set up accounts for me automatically with both AT&T and Comcast. Only asked for my user name and password and completed the setup without a hitch.