Archlinux News: initscripts update - manual intervention required

securitybreach

securitybreach
Please manually delete /etc/profile.d/locale.sh before updating. If /etc/rc.conf fails in your login shell, please read the full announcement.Changes to locale handling:/etc/profile.d/locale.sh is now a static file that sources the correct config files in order to set your locale, rather than being generated at boot. The benefit of this is one less write to /etc, and it allows changes to the locale to take effect without rebooting (just relogin).We add support for /etc/locale.conf. The settings in this file takes precedence over /etc/rc.conf, and those who use shells that cannot source /etc/rc.conf are required to move to this new format. /etc/locale.conf contains a new-line separated list of variable assignments. The variables we support are LANG as well as the LC_* variables (with the exception of LC_ALL). The format is shared with systemd.
http://www.archlinux.org/news/initscripts-...ntion-required/I would suggest first backing up /etc/profile.d/locale.sh before deleting the file:
# cp /etc/profile.d/locale.sh /etc/profile.d/locale.sh.backup && rm /etc/profile.d/locale.sh

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... now I read this. :(

I did it a bit differently, but it seemed to work. I renamed locale.sh to locale.sh.old. I then updated the system. Afterwards, I deleted the newly created locale.sh and restored the locale.sh.old to locale.sh. I did NOT utilize the new rc.conf.pacnew, though. If I borked up, I guess I'll find out eventually. All seems OK for now.

I do NOT recommend doing it my way, as it is not the proper way to correct this issue.

securitybreach

The only line that changed in the rc.conf.pacnew was the LANG entry, well besides the obvious edits so you should not have a problem if you merge the files:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 10:10 PM

╚═══ ~-> diff /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.pacnew

9a10

> # LANG in /etc/locale.conf takes precedence

26c27

---

> TIMEZONE="Canada/Pacific"

42c43

---

> MODULES=()

62c63

---

> HOSTNAME="myhost"

86,90c87,91

---

> interface=

> address=

> netmask=

> broadcast=

> gateway=

116,117c117,119

---

> # If you are sure nothing else touches your hardware clock (such as ntpd or

> # a dual-boot), you might want to enable 'hwclock'. Note that this will only

> # make a difference if the hwclock program has been calibrated correctly.

119c121,123

---

> # If you use a network filesystem you should enable 'netfs'.

> #

> DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network crond)

The locale.sh file is only needed if you are using non-bash terminal which I am pretty none of us are. This is the output when upgrading:

]If using non-bash-compatible shell, please set LANG in /etc/locale.conf,

as LOCALE in /etc/rc.conf no longer works.[/b]

Since the locale is already set by my /etc/rc.conf, I just deleted the file locale.sh after a reboot.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, it's probably unrelated, but I can't seem to get my printer working in Arch. My CUPS daemon wasn't starting. Yet, it was in the daemons list in rc.conf. Weird. I'm tired. I'm back in Slack because I needed to print something. I'm heading to bed now. I'll troubleshoot the Arch printing issue tomorrow... and start a thread about it, if necessary.

Later...

securitybreach

Yeah I doubt that it is related. It is probably just a configuration change or something from an update. I do not presently have cups installed since I really dont have a a use for a printer anymore so I have not noticed anything. I would try restarting cups and checking the output:

rc.d restart cups

V.T. Eric Layton

I fixed it. Evidently, when I built this system, I forgot that I went from LPT1 (new mobo does not have legacy serial printer port) to USB for the printer. I must not have set it up in Arch at that time. Duh! I followed the Arch Wiki instructions for blacklisting usblp and then restarting/resetting-up CUPS and the printer. Works okee-dokee now. :w00t:

securitybreach
Thanks for posting this Josh, I'm sure I would have never seen it in advance and then had to track it down after the fact.

No problem :thumbsup: