CD/RW not opening after writing

OnTheRoad

What could possibly cause my CD/RW to not open the drawer if I write to a CD? It works just fine to read as many CDs as I want, but as soon as I write to the CD, the drawer won't open and I have to reboot inorder to open the drawer to change CDs.anybody have any ideas?

Guest ThunderRiver

I would think it has more to do with your OS. What OS are you running at this moment?Can you still right click on the CDR drive and choose "Eject?"On the final note, what program do you use to burn your CD? If it is Easy CD Creator 5, make sure you have upgraded to the newest service update available. I have had the similar problem of yours, and I took a different approach. Format the system and install Nero Burning Rom, but I hope you dont' have to choose my route :D

I'm using winME (and it is getting squirrelier and squirrelier all the time) and no, I cannot eject by R-click on the drive. and I'm using Direct CD 5.1.

Guest ThunderRiver

If you are willing to switch OS to Windows Xp, please do so. As for Direct CD, please give Nero Burning Rom a try and see if it works out for you that way. Nero does "auto eject" after burning.

Hey guys...

I'm using Direct CD 5.1
Direct CD is pard of the Roxio EZ-CD Creator and it's the packet writing software so that you can drag and drop files to the CD in explorer (nero's compliment component would be in-cd) and last time I used that software (ezcd) the CD's technically locked in the drive until you tell direct-cd that you want to eject it then it will ask you if you want to be able to write to the cd again or finalize the cd... Try right clicking on the direct-cd icon in the system tray and see if you can eject or get to the options that I said earlier... I also use Nero and if I need to have multiple copying sessions I use a multisession setup...I hope this helps....

Try right clicking on the direct-cd icon in the system tray and see if you can eject or get to the options that I said earlier...
Seems like a good idea, but I can't get to an option to eject. I don't have it in my system tray (trying to keep stuff to a minimum), and going to the program, the 'eject' option is greyed out. I think I'll try reinstalling the software and if that doesn't work, it may push me to buy another copy of XP (it came with and is running on my laptop & I understand you have to BUY additional copies) and upgrade this computer to XP.

I updated my CDCreator to 5.3.4.21 and reinstalled it, and now it will write and eject so I guess my problem is fixed. I should have done one at a time so I would know if it was the update or the reinstall.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spoke too soon. My drive, even with the updated program is now back to not ejecting after a write. I'll try the other program suggested and get back if it still doesn't work.OK, further stuff (aka problems): the drive is making a buzzing sound when a disk is inserted so I suspect the problem may be with the drive itself (a gateway OEM). However, Nero says the media is not writable (does that mean it needs to be formatted with nero?) when in fact I can copy stuff to the disk. At that point I cannot eject the disk by pressing the button on the drive door, but I CAN eject it using Nero's eject button. I think I need a new drive.Any suggestions?

Guest ThunderRiver
Well, I spoke too soon. My drive, even with the updated program is now back to not ejecting after a write. I'll try the other program suggested and get back if it still doesn't work.OK, further stuff (aka problems): the drive is making a buzzing sound when a disk is inserted so I suspect the problem may be with the drive itself (a gateway OEM). However, Nero says the media is not writable (does that mean it needs to be formatted with nero?) when in fact I can copy stuff to the disk. At that point I cannot eject the disk by pressing the button on the drive door, but I CAN eject it using Nero's eject button. I think I need a new drive.Any suggestions?
buzzing sound is fine, but if it is too much vibration or it spins too fast, you might as well stay away from the bay when it is operating.I am quite a bit confused by your descriptions. Are you getting confused between DirectCD and Nero? Once you have done something to the CD with DirectCD, Nero can't do anything with it.Perhaps you do need a new drive, but perhaps you just need a cleaning kit for it.

No wonder YOU'RE confused, I'm confused to start with :D !The buzzing was really loud and a sound like broken equipment and anyway it was 3 years old so I decided to just get a new CD-RW, a Cendyne Lightning V 52-24-52, $39 after rebates, a lot faster than the one I have.If I switch to Nero (comes with the Cendyne), will my CDs that I put stuff on with DirectCD not be usable with Nero? Not a problem, but I'd like to understand. Will I be able to add stuff (data, I don't have music CDs) to the old RW CDs? I'm going to try using CD-Rs (heck, for $8/100, how can I go wrong?) for my backups, as most of the stuff is long term storage as I use another computer for my daily backups.Thanks for your help!

On my computer running Windows 98, I have an IOMEGA CDR/W that won't eject a CDR/W disk unless I go start up Adaptec DirectCD. It does not appear on my task bar before that, probably because I disabled it starting up at one time or another. Even then, can't eject it unless I use the eject selection after right clicking DirectCD icon in the task bar. But it does seem previously that I was able to eject a CDR/W with the button on the drive.My dad's computer had a burner with DirectCD that failed. The computer shop replaced it with one that was set up with NERO. He had some CDR's he had not closed and could not read them with NERO. I had to locate a computer with DirectCD to close them for him, and then they were OK reading with NERO.