Linux program for Windows ?

trigggl

For those of us stuck in a Windoze environment for long periods of time against our will:Unix UtilsBecause I prefer using unix commands to DOS commands. I found this in the equivalents site. It was listed in the Windoze collumn as Wget, but it comes with most basic unix commands one might be tempted to type at a command prompt when switching between OS'es a lot.I had to edit my Autoexec.bat file to put a path to the unix executables. Forget about the installer, it doesn't appear to be working right now. It's not really needed anyway. Just put the two folders in the lowest level of the C:\ (or wherever the windows folder is) drive and put the following lines in the Autoexec.bat file.

path=C:\usr\local\wbin;"%path%";path=C:\bin;"%path%";

I never have to type "dir" again."su" is included for some reason. Perhaps it works in an NT environment? It doesn't work in 98. Not that I would even need it.

Edited by trigggl

linuxdude32
For those of us stuck in a Windoze environment for long periods of time against our will:Unix Utils
Thanks for sharing the link, Greg. :unsure: I admin I wasn't a DOS guru, but I don't think su is a Windows command in any version.What's with the heart? First Jeber is a pucker fish and now you have a heart at the top of your post. Something strange is going on.... ;) ;) :P :D

Hi Greg and Jason :unsure: ;) . . I gave this post it own thread, because I think it is a Windows program and not a "Great Linux Link" . . . .:D :P ( Where it was posted originally )I even wonder if it should not have been posted in the Windows Forum . . . ;):D Bruno

I even wonder if it should not have been posted in the Windows Forum . . . :unsure:
I don't think the average Windows enthusiast would agree with you. What do they want with unix commands?It is a way to fool Windows into behaving like Linux.I can now type:
ls

and a number of other things like wget and gzip. Less is in there.

agrep.exeansi2knr.exebasename.exebc.exebison.exebunzip2.exebzip2.exebzip2recover.execat.exechgrp.exechmod.exechown.execksum.execmp.execomm.execompress.execp.execsplit.execut.exedate.exedc.exedd.exedf.exediff.exediff3.exedircolors.exedirname.exedu.exeecho.exeegrep.exeenv.exeexpand.exeexpr.exefactor.exefgrep.exefind.exeflex.exefmt.exefold.exefsplit.exegawk.exegclip.exegplay.exegrep.exegsar.exegunzip.exegzip.exehead.exeid.exeindent.exeinstall.exejoin.exejwhois.exeless.exelesskey.exelibfl.alibfl.libln.exelogname.exels.exels.txtm4.exemake.exemakedepend.exemakemsg.exeman.exemd5sum.exemkdir.exemkfifo.exemknod.exemv.exemvdir.exenl.exeod.exepaste.exepatch.exepathchk.exepclip.exepr.exeprintenv.exeprintf.exeptx.exepwd.exerecode.exerm.exerman.exermdir.exesdiff.exesed.exeseq.exesha1sum.exeshar.exesleep.exesort.exesplit.exestego.exesu.exesum.exesync.exetac.exetail.exetar.exetee.exetest.exetouch.exetr.exetsort.exetype.exeuname.exeunexpand.exeuniq.exeunrar.exeunshar.exeunzip.exeuudecode.exeuuencode.exewc.exewget.GIDwget.exewget.hlpwhich.exewhoami.exexargs.exeyes.exezcat.exezip.exe

I did a "uname -a" with interesting results.

I did a "uname -a" with interesting results.
LOL . . . let me guess . . . you got kernel 2.7.5 on your Windows 98 box ?? . . . :D :unsure: ;)
What do they want with unix commands?
Well, it would make editing the config files a lot easier ;) :D :P B) Bruno

C:\WINDOWS>uname --helpUsage: C:\USR\LOCAL\WBIN\UNAME.EXE [OPTION]... -a, --all print all information -m, --machine print the machine (hardware) type -n, --nodename print the machine's network node hostname -r, --release print the operating system release -s, --sysname print the operating system name -v print the operating system version --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exitWithout any OPTION, assume -s.C:\WINDOWS>uname -aWindows dfjclr-isa 10 4 x86C:\WINDOWS>

;) . . . well I am glad to know that the day I will have enough courage to try a more difficult distro like Windows, at least there are a few commands I can still use . . . . ;) . . . but I am still hesitating, they tell me Windows is so hard to learn . . :unsure: :P Bruno

linuxdude32
;)  . . . well I am glad to know that the day I will have enough courage to try a more difficult distro like Windows, at least there are a few commands I can still use . . . .  :)  . . . but I am still hesitating, they tell me Windows is so hard to learn . .  :w00t:
Yeah, Bruno! I hear the package manager they use in Windows really s****! ;) And it doesn't even come with a free office package, pop-up blocker or image editor? I mean, what's with that? :w00t: (Maybe this should be in the Windows area :) )