Another Colin OOPS!!!

kamicota

Hi again all B) I'm Back :) Decided it was time to update PClos and Simply Mepis well--->>> B) After 387MB Pclos and 389 Mb Simply Mepis Synaptic updates I am happy with PCLos but HAD to update mepis with Root not usetr Colin :'( :wacko: ;) AS I COULD NOT REMEMBER MY PASSWORD - Now this can be the start of memory loss :icon8: or just plain oversight --->>>BUT can anyone point me in the right direcxtion to recover it and see where it is OR how to replace it with a new one :fish: :fish: :fish: :medic: NEEDED as USUAL :rolleyes: Cheers for yeasColin :) :D

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• teacher

• havnblast

• ross549

Hi ColinThis is Mepis you are talking about ?? . . then try this log in as root and:

# passwd colin

And you can set a new password for colin B);) Bruno

I was beginning to wonder where you were Colin. Glad to see you posting again. I believe you have been even scarcer than I have this summer on the forum. ;)

Yep Bruno Mepis And thank you teacher have been away from Linux for a couple of months CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ;) I will try that Bruno B) once I get this laptop where I need it soem time later todayCheers for Years Et-alsGreat to be backColin B) :)

It has to be Bruno. :D Besides, how could Colin forget the one that is suppose to be harder and remember the easier one? Never do things the easy way. :D

Yes BrunoMy Root password is the same for all three distrosAnd I may even have to do something in ATL Linux UNLESS I go for another Distro to replace it :D OOPPS there I go a :D :D bain B) :) B) Cheers for yearsColi :D :D n

ColinI keep it the same for all distros - one password for root and one for user. Otherwise it would be too difficult. At school, we have to change them every three months. After coming back and not logging on for two months I tried a few and then finally thought, why not try my Linux favorites. :D Jackpot!

Yep JuliaI started to do just that BUT do NOT EVER like any prying eyes on any of my systems so I Left PCLos at an earlier user password as that was the first to load up andleft the other two with more SENSITIVE file to a nEW password and silly MOI :) :D :D just plumb forgot it :D Cheers for YearsColin :D and UNDERCOVER at TIMES B)

OOPS JuliaI was just looking at Suse 9.3 BUT did think about putting it on my External Drive It has XP Home SP2 on it right now and the information I have is that to partition and put another OS on sometimes givs XP palpitationsSo any advice will be as ALWAYS appreciatedCheers for YearsColin :D :D :D

The only advice I have is that if you go for it, simply make sure that you tell it to write lilo to the partition, not to the mbr. Then you can use the easy trick to add it to your lilo without needing to go through all the file commands, etc. It really is quite easy. Do not go with the 10.0. It is not stable enough for your needs.

Hey JuliaAt this point in time That is all I am doing and YES it does have wireless and GUESS it would be another Party Install Time BUT I wouls have to save what I had on my Ion External and repartition that too It is a 4000G and has 25G E and 5 G F so as yet I am still ROMANCING :D where I am going :D :) B) Colin :D

Then we can set up an install party if you have 25G empty. We will have to figure out a time to do so. I am walking out the door to dinner right now. :D Hubby's taking me out for dinner tonight so he does not have to cook.

JuliaOne where do I get the ImageBUT the most palpitating :D thing I have is that possibly Windows XP will be altered with the mbr or lilo or whichever way this works and fr9om what I have been told THIS WILL GIVE XP problemsAlthough I am still hanging in there CURIOUS as USUAL B) Colin :D :) :D

Thanks for the link JuliaBu you know this is the easy part downloading The Scorpio worry-wort :icon8: :'( B) is STILL up in the air re Laptop external drive install BUT we will seeCheers for YearsColin B) ;) :D

JuliaAll I have on the laptop is Windows XP Home sp2On my Linux desktop--->>>PCLosATLMepis ( on the last partition) - a candidate for replacement with Suse ??? B) And my other desktop has Widows XP Home SP2 Thats the way the land laies right downand thanks busy down;loading Suse 9.3 fro your link CD1 now 41%Cheers for yearsColin ;) B) :icon8:

Woah there Julia :( I don't even have Suse Burned yet and they are on My XP Desktop and have to see how nero burns the iso'sAnd as for the laptop external that is a 40GB in 35GB & a 5GB partition I STILL have to orchestrate what needs to and be burned to cd :hmm: And I though I was Impatient :devil: Cheers for YearsColin

OOPS Colin seems to have goofed :icon8: againSuse all 5 iso's downloaded as rar files I think and I unpacked CD 1 and have NO idea how to do it from thereMay even have to fire up Linix Desktop and re do them :( :hmm: :hmm: :devil: Cheers for YearsColin

Thanks JuliaWent to the link and just downloaded each iso to the desktopNever thought it starnge that they appeared as a rar icon on the desktopI unpacked them to a Suse folde and all the files came in to itThats about best I can explainColin a little :hmm: :( :devil:

Never unpack an iso! You shouldn't need to do that. You might go back to that first downloaded copy and use Konqueror and view trhe directory where you downloaded it. Then go to View --> Detailed list and see if it lists it as an iso!

JuliaALL 5 CD's are on my XP desktop and I am NOT SET UP TO SHARE WITH LINUX DESKTOPI was thinking to try nero and see if it will create a bootable cd from the download rar/iso or whatever it is :hmm: Colin :devil: