pae

réjean

Hi all!

I downloaded the latest Ubuntu (Development Release: Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1) thinking about installing it on my machine.

Before burning it ( the shasum is good ) I thought I would look at it in Vbox in PCLinuxOS Zen.

At first I gave it only 512 Mb of RAM (default) but I get the following message;

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU;pae.
Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

so I went on Wikipedia and found the following;

In computing, Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature to allow (32-bit) x86 processors to access a physical address space (including random access memory and memory mapped devices) larger than 4 gigabytes

Then I gave the Vbox machine 1 Gb of RAM and I got the same message. So instead of installing the Vbox machine on my big 500 GB partition (sdb10) which is ntfs I put it in the /home/rejean/.VirtualBox/Machines folder with the same result.

Does it mean that;

1. I cannot run Ubuntu in Vbox

or 2. there is no point in burning the .iso image and trying to install it on my machine? My motherboard is a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 btw.

Edited by réjean

What version of Ubuntu did you download, x86, x86_64, AMD64, etc.?

What cpu does your computer have in it, Intel ? AMD ? and specifically which model?

As far as the virtual machine, in VBox, did you tell it what version of Ubuntu you were going to run when you set it up? I think that you have to tell it the correct architecture (cpu, kernel) during the first step of the set up.

I downloaded the 'ubuntu-12.04-beta1-desktop-i386.iso' version.

According to the motherboard book the CPU would be LGA 775 for Intel Core 2 Extreme but in the Control Centre I see; ‎Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz.

I may have found the solution thanks to you;

screenshot6s.th.png

Yep! It seems that it will work. I'll let you know. I have to go outside and take advantage of a sunny afternoon to do some garden preparation.

Thanks!

I never had to make such a change in Vbox before but 'Enabling the PAE/NX' worked.

screenshot7lw.th.png

Thanks Bob!

Edited by réjean