Cleaning up member datatbase

zlim

I'm always amazed at the number of "members" that joined years ago and have never been back.

Today there are three members celebrating birthdays. Two haven't been active since 2003 and the third since 2006.

It seems to me that if someone hasn't been here in 10 years or longer, that "member" can be removed.

I just went through that process at another forum. I got the member pages from over 50 to 4!

• Like 5

amenditman

I guess 10 years is reasonable--seems pretty unlikely they're ever going to show up again.

Or at least unlikely they will remember they ever were here before.
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never known Scot's to purge members. I've done it at my own board before. After deleting someone who hasn't visited in a decade, I invariably get an email from them asking me why they can't login when they tried to yesterday. ;)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

We do not purge members or posts generally but we will discuss it and see if there is a need.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Liz.

• 2 weeks later...

Cluttermagnet, you don't fit the profile that I was discussing. There are "members" who registered in 2003 and never appeared after that date. Or at least never bothered logging in since 2003.

I often wonder why people sign up for a forum if they can read the posts and have no intention of ever contributing. It seems pointless.

I read some forums and if I see something I want to post about, then I register and post.

securitybreach

I know exactly what you mean Liz. Since I vet most of all the new users, I frequently see people who register and never say anything or even come back.