printers and paper ??

longgone

A question for someone to enlighten me on. Does the weight of the paper have any significant effect on the printer? I ask this because at times my printer (HP Officejet 4500) does not pick up the next sheet of paper for printing. It will instead show where a roller (only one) has touched the paper along the right hand margin. Normally I use a heavy weight paper (24lb, I think) but I got a batch of 20lb and this problem started to occur, not often, but it still did happen. Using the 24lb now and all is good. Any thoughts on this one???

Most printer engineers would love for everyone to use the exact same paper. However, that is simply not going to happen.

In any case, heavyweight paper should not pose a problem for a printer. I've used 60lb paper in the past with no ill effects.

How old is this printer?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I don't use anything but 24lb paper. I have found it's just not worth using lower than 24lb to make sure the individual sheets get picked up. Especially with old or well used office printers.

Guest LilBambi

20 lb paper should suffice for new printers for sure; although I have started using 24lb for every printer now.

20 lb paper can be very problematic on older or 'well used' printers either not picking up the paper or picking up too many.

I agree with you in theory Temmu.

I always thought 20 lb should be fine for most printers; and for some it is, or may be so.

But for my situation, I have learned over time, and I must say, I try to eek out the longest time possible from any printer, that keeping the printer cleaned (rollers, etc) and using 24 lb paper do the most to keeping me my sanity over continuous print failed due to paper jam, or failed to pick up paper, or picked up too many pieces of paper issues.

To all,,, thank you, I shall give the cleaning a whirl,, the printer is probably 18 months old and gets light to moderate use, but not any long term type. I think I'll stick with the 24lb paper though, don't need any more problems in life.

Paper has fibers that eventually coat the pickup rollers. Cleaning them will prolong the life of your printer. On many laser printers you can replace the pickup rollers with new ones.