UNDERclocking a Celeron

AirFarceWon

AirFarceWon

In this day and age, where the search for increasingly better performance prevails, I suppose my question must seem strange, but I have a HP Pavilion laptop with a Celeron 2.4 Ghz, and I'd like to know if it can be UNDERclocked, and if so, how? :happyroll:

Being a newer computer, the clock multiplier settings should be in the BIOS. Although, your options may be limited with a brand name such as HP.I'm not sure if newer computers still have jumpers, but it couldn't hurt to check.

I guess the question is why would you want to?If you had the Pentium M it would have settings to drop speed on battery. Here lies the problem with using desktop PC parts in laptops to make them cheaper.

Edited by FuzzButt

The only way to overclock or underclock an Intel CPU is by changing the FSB frequency. All Intel CPUs are multiplier locked. Thus, if your Celeron is currently using a 100MHz FSB, you need to go down towards 66MHz or in between if your BIOS lets you. All FSB settings should be tweaked in your BIOS. There should be a manual or preset for different FSB frequencies. If the FSB is 133MHz then you could go to 100 or 66.

AirFarceWon
:devil: Er, okaaaay...We-ell...I've looked into the BIOS, and I couldn't find anything related to my CPU that was subject to change...Now my question came from the fact that I wanted to lower my computer's "fuel" consumption, and heat production...There's no urgency here, and it was more of a rhetorical question than anything else...Thanks anyway...I think I'll leave it the way it is, since I'm no computer genius... :)

I just noticed you wrote that it was a HP laptop. If the CPU has SpeesStep it should dynamically underclock when there is very little CPU activity. It's called CPU throttling. Since this is name brand laptop, you may be correct that it won't allow you to modify the FSB. :P

genalder, cool program!---------airforcewon could need slowness due to old programs.me remembers going from 386 to 486 and it running too fast (!) for certain programs.  i had to hit the turbo button to slow it down so they'd run!  :thumbsup:

I've never actually used CPUidle, but I've heard good things for years so I figured I'd pass it on.Being too fast for old programs is why "emulators" like dosbox allow you to throttle down your processor speed. Heck I've got an apple II emulator that does the same thing.Now if you'll excuse me I just reminded myself I haven't played Oregon Trail in forever.

• 3 months later...

Speedstep is only available on mobile processors with the "M" designation. Pentium 4M don't count.