Stop Online Privacy Act - SOPA

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

This applies to the Internet as a whole, so I thought this might be the best place for it.

Are you aware of this bill coming to a vote in Congress shortly?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/sopa-...-break-internet

If you have any interest at all in the Internet and freedom of information/expression/exchange of ideas and knowledge, then you need to know about this.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• ross549

• Corrine

• securitybreach

securitybreach
This applies to the Internet as a whole, so I thought this might be the best place for it.

Are you aware of this bill coming to a vote in Congress shortly?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/sopa-...-break-internet

If you have any interest at all in the Internet and freedom of information/expression/exchange of ideas and knowledge, then you need to know about this.

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! Would you believe I didn't even notice that faux pas until you mentioned it? Really! I think I'll leave it as is. ;)

I do hope it's just irony. I wouldn't want it to be prophesy. :(

Guest LilBambi

Surprise! Microsoft quietly opposes SOPA copyright bill - CNET:

Microsoft has long been one of the most ardent proponents of expanding U.S. copyright law. But that enthusiasm doesn't extend to the new Stop Online Piracy Act, which its lobbyists are quietly working to alter, CNET has learned.

It's little surprise that Web-based companies like Google, Facebook, and Twitter oppose SOPA, which is designed to make allegedly piratical Web sites virtually disappear from the Internet. They, and many civil liberties and human rights groups, worry that SOPA could jeopardize legitimate Web sites too.

More in the article...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111128/...treatment.shtml

Want to know when a bit of news has really hit the mainstream? It's when the Taiwanese company Next Media Animation does a computer generated animation of the story. These videos have become a media sensation. Guess what they just took on? Yup, the battle over SOPA, which they animate by showing Hollywood lobbyists seeking to attack the internet, and showing not only how tech companies teamed up to fight this, but that internet users are pushing back. Amusingly, they make use of the imagery from the UC Davis pepper spray incident to show how Hollywood and the government can "knock out" sites under SOPA.

Scroll down for a link to an english version. :pirate:

Going off at a bit of a tangent here but along the same lines.

https://www.laquadrature.net/en/eu-court-of...damental-rights

“As the war on culture sharing is fiercer than ever, this ECJ ruling comes at a timely moment. After the Promusicae ruling3, it is a blow for the European Commission, which has implicitly supported the broad filtering schemes that the entertainment industries are pushing for4. The ruling stresses once again that instead of keeping on pushing for more repression EU policy maker should work towards a much needed reform of copyright that would protect citizens' freedoms. Rejecting ACTA and other extremist measures imposed in the name of copyright would be a first step.”, said Jérémie Zimmermann, co-founder and spokesperson of citizen advocacy group La Quadrature du Net.

Beyond copyright, this decision also underlines the dangers of Net filtering and calls for an important democratic debate regarding their disproportionate nature.

B)

Edited by abarbarian

• 1 month later...

English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout - Wikimedia Foundation

Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United States—the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate—that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia.

Also Reddit: Wikipedia, Reddit plan site blackouts in SOPA protest.

Guest LilBambi

Excellent. I think there are a lot of folks that will participate for the day on their own sites. Wordpress is doing it, so I assume all blogs on wordpress.com will be participating?

I do know they have a SOPA Strike Plugin for Wordpress installations if you have Wordpress installed on your own hosting/domain. I have it installed on one of mine. http://sopastrike.com/

Protest SOPA: Black Out Your Website the Google-Friendly Way

the pres of the us is on board with stopping the legislation. but u prolly already knew that.

He gave some kind of middling statement where he said he's against it as it stands (I don't know that he actually explicitly said that, but that was the gist of what he said) but not against giving "prosecutors and rights holders new legal tools to combat online piracy originating beyond U.S. borders "

From his statement, he'd probably veto SOPA if it passed right now, but that doesn't mean he's against every version of it.

The widespread Internet blackout Wednesday, in which sites such as Wikipedia and Reddit went dark to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA), seems to have influenced members of the U.S. Congress.

PIPA co-sponsor Florida Sen. Marco Rubio pulled his name from the bill Wednesday and SOPA co-sponsor Arizona Rep. Ben Quayle pulled his name Tuesday.

More: PIPA and SOPA Co-Sponsors Abandon Bills

At Gizmodo: PIPA Co-Sponsor Abandons His Awful Bill

securitybreach

But does it really matter....

"A hearing to amend and debate the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act should resume in February, its chief sponsor said, even in the face of new opposition to the copyright enforcement bill.....Bill sponsor says SOPA hearing to resume in February....Smith says he'll push forward with the controversial copyright enforcement legislation.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/922...ume_in_February

They were doing this before SOPA:

A federal judge in Nevada has agreed that Chanel can seize the domain names in question and transfer them all to US-based registrar GoDaddy. The judge also ordered "all Internet search engines" and "all social media websites"—explicitly naming Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Bing, Yahoo, and Google—to "de-index" the domain names and to remove them from any search results. The case has been a remarkable one. Concerned about counterfeiting, Chanel has filed a joint suit in Nevada against nearly 700 domain names that appear to have nothing in common. When Chanel finds more names, it simply uses the same case and files new requests for more seizures.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...ng-facebook.ars

The opposition (including the president) against NDAA did not stop it from passing, he still signed it into law.

Although the momentum against SOPA & PIPA has been growing, the people (MPAA) who originally promoted this poorly thought out bill will be back. This is far from over.

I'm glad to hear some of the comments coming from the presidential candidates saying they would not support these 2 bills in its current form. But in a presidential election year, these buttheads will say anything to get elected. Once they're in office, look out. They'll tow the party line and line their pockets with profits gained from lobbyists.

Mark my words, round 2 will be coming up later this year.

Although the momentum against SOPA & PIPA has been growing, the people (MPAA) who originally promoted this poorly thought out bill will be back. This is far from over.

According to this, they haven't left: "Chris Dodd warns of Hollywood backlash against Obama over anti-piracy bill"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19...oney-over-anti/

According to this, they haven't left: "Chris Dodd warns of Hollywood backlash against Obama over anti-piracy bill"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19...oney-over-anti/

The law makers have no taste for it and it won't even make it to the floor. All 4 of the republican presidential candidates have already made public statements saying they won't support it in its current form. That itself should tell you how strong the opposition is and the lawmakers got the message loud & clear. To me, the most alarming aspect is how this proposed bill got traction in the first place. Americans pride themselves on freedom of speech and the various other freedoms this country espouses. And yet here we are in 2012, trying to fend off censorship, assault on common sense, and archaic views that would take us back to the dark ages. Seriously, it's time for the american populace to wake up. Also, this is no time for celebration. Just because MPAA lost this round doesn't mean they've lost steam. On the contrary. They will re-formulate the bill and keep shoving it down someone's throat and until they cry 'uncle' or shove enough $$$ in front of them to change their mind. They've got deep pockets, I'm sure it will not hurt their wallet much.