2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... me too. It always amazes me that Slackware comes in as the perennial second fiddle to Ubuntu and Debian in the desktop and server categories, respectively. And once again OpenOffice has no competition. I was kinda' pleasantly surprised to see Gnome beat out KDE this year. Interesting. I wonder how much of a share of Linux users KDE has lost since it went to version 4?

securitybreach

KDE probably lost quite a bit of its userbase after going to version 4. Yeah, I believe Slackware should of won the server part but I also did not see any mention of Arch either. :hysterical:

It must be really hard to categorise some programs while avoiding comparing apples with oranges. I think they have done well, although some are a bit strange. The one I particularly noticed is LAME appearing as an audio editor in the same category as Ardour and Audacity which are both well featured recording/editing tools. Last I heard LAME is a library for mp3 conversion.The KDE/Gnome votes were separated by 1.59%, so I think KDE fared well considering the vastness of the change from 3.5 to 4. Debian being top server surprised me not at all. A friend of mine is head sysadmin at Australia's largest Real Estate site, and was using RedHat servers at his last job. He says the Debian systems are are dream to admin compared to RH.It is notable that Amarok, KDE's default audio player, was voted twice as much as it's nearest contender, despite the narrow difference in Gnome/KDE desktop votes. It's certainly my favorite and main player, although I also use Qmmp for those quick "play it now" moments. Qmmp didn't rate a mention though (try it ,you'll like it)!

Edited by sunrat

Yeah... me too. It always amazes me that Slackware comes in as the perennial second fiddle to Ubuntu and Debian in the desktop and server categories, respectively.
You know, it occurred to me, Eric, that nobody writes a "quick beginners' guide to Slackware" the way Josh was kind enough to do for Archlinux, Eric. :)
And once again OpenOffice has no competition.
I don't know why KOffice doesn't get any love. But as one who relies fairly heavily on Writer and has a moderate (if routine, nay, even boring) familiarity with Calc, I have to say that every version of OpenOffice from 1.2 on has been more fun than the last. There isn't a lot of drama: just steady, incremental, but very noticeable fine touches. I don't miss WordPerfect quite as much as I did. And that's about the highest compliment I can give any hunk of code alive.
I was kinda' pleasantly surprised to see Gnome beat out KDE this year.
Which is the irony, if you will, of annual polls of this nature; Gnome won by virtue of doing nothing world-rocking in 2009 and thereby not alienating their user base. I just hope that they learned something from KDE's ordeal and pay very close attention before supplying us with anything too interesting in Gnome 3.Eggdog

V.T. Eric Layton
...nobody writes a "quick beginners' guide to Slackware"...
Hmm... I'll have to constipate on this for a while. :w00t:
...before supplying us with anything too interesting in Gnome 3.
For sure! :)

V.T. Eric Layton
You know, it occurred to me, Eric, that nobody writes a "quick beginners' guide to Slackware" the way Josh was kind enough to do for Archlinux, Eric. :)
Eddie, check out cybormoron's (Steve) great pictutorial on installing Slack 12.2:http://flickr.com/photos/slackwaretwelvetwo/show/Slack's installer hasn't changed in my memory (I go back to Slack 10), so this slideshow is still useful for Slack 13. :w00t:

Darn, you beat me to it.I don't go into that thread too often but I did remember that was in there. :(
I watched that pictutorial (without sound) this morning. Outstanding job, Steve -- I enjoyed it a lot.One thing struck me: apparently the Slackware installation process specifically asks if you want to install Emacs. That pleased me.Sue and Eric, you can both speak to this, I believe: I got the idea that if I can install Arch, I can install Slackware. In both cases, it's an ncurses installer that asks you a bunch of questions, and it doesn't look a lot different.Eddie

V.T. Eric Layton

Slackware is child's play to install (for folks like me who've done it many, many times). The only Linux that ever really offered me a challenge was Gentoo. :(

Sue and Eric, you can both speak to this, I believe: I got the idea that if I can install Arch, I can install Slackware. In both cases, it's an ncurses installer that asks you a bunch of questions, and it doesn't look a lot different.Eddie
If you can install Arch, you definitely can install Slackware. After an Arch install, Slack is, as Eric is fond of saying, easy peasy. :(

In both cases, it's an ncurses installer that asks you a bunch of questions, and it doesn't look a lot different.
I am an occasional slacker – I try not to inhale. Yes, easy peasy. The install part, that is. Configuration, then... that's another story – depending on your hardware, as usual. :thumbsup: