• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

I know some folks have noted that the forum doesn't give an easy way to link works to the web address within forum posts.

Like Josh noted in a later post in this topic, the easiest way is to highlight some text in your posting and click the link. It asks for the URL and go. Two steps and you are done.

But there are times when you really wish to have the entire article title and copying and pasting it you end up with some huge header text like below and want to bring it down a notch or two. The following method makes it easy under those circumstances.

Under these circumstances, the best way to do it is very similar to the way you would do it in a blog posting.

1. Add or paste* words that you want to be the link such as the title of an article

Posted Image

2. Highlight the words that you want to be linked:

Posted Image

remove formatting:

Posted Image

make the text bold if you like and add the publication name after the article name:

Posted Image

3. While all the words you want to be linked are highlighted, click the gray/green link icon in the formatting bar:

Posted Image

and paste* the link address (NOTE: you can go between your browser tabs to snag the link address)

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Done

*paste - this is usually what I do. I copy the article title from the article itself and paste it. Often it's a 'title text which is way too big. So I highlight the text I just pasted and click the pink/white eraser remove format icon to the right of the light switch and it removes all formatting.

Not much harder than the way we used to do it and makes things look better. Of course you can still just post links but no one will know what it is and they may not want to click the link. Up to you.

NOTE: I have noticed that you need to get to the literal end of the line after the link to type information that does not become part of the link. To do that, I have found the easiest way is to use the down arrow a couple times at the end of the link. That will move you to the end after the link ends and it won't be part of the link. Also helps for getting to the end of bold type, color or other formatting as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by LilBambi, 19 May 2012 - 07:42 AM.
adding Josh's notation and other alternate text at beginning of post.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,940 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

It's always been relatively easy to hyperlink here; even before the upgrade. People are just lazy, like me. I just post raw links, usually. ;)

#3 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

so does this work?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,642 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 18 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's always been relatively easy to hyperlink here; even before the upgrade.

Yup, it is pretty simple but thanks for a making a pictorial on how to do this Fran :thumbsup:

View Postcrp, on 18 May 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Works beautifully!!
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 18 May 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yup, it is pretty simple but thanks for a making a pictorial on how to do this Fran :thumbsup:
Works beautifully!!
good, now if can just figure out the 'MutliQuote' thing and what the hyperlink link to anchored text is.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

When you figure out the hyperlink to anchored text, please feel free to write a tutorial! ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

That's a minimum of 6 steps, not 4, and I couldn't duplicate your results even with the template open.

The old forum could do this natively in 1 or 2 steps - copy the link and manually type the text or copy the link and edit the text afterwards.

I think you'll see fewer than 5% of youir users bother to attempt real text, thus 90% or more links will be gibberish, thus far less clickthroughs.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I didn't choose their way of doing changes. This is not my way, it's the way and I am only the messenger.

No one says you have to do it this way. That's up to you. Do it however you want.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Who are "they"? I suggested that "they" create an easier way to make plain text links.

I don't want to do it your way and I don't want to do it my way - they are just workarounds.

I want "them" to fix this "improvement" that isn't an improvement at all.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Actually I just highlight the text I want to link, click the Link button and it asks for the url. Then I enter the url, click ok and it is done B)

This is the same exact method I used on the old forum version so I am curious as to how the method has changed.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yep, in many cases I will do the same thing, Josh, and it's just 2 steps (highlight text i want to hyperlink and click the Link button and add the URL).

But sometimes, it maybe easier to use the entire article name, and when you post it, it is too big because it brought along its header formatting. In those cases, I use the remove formatting and then make it bold before clicking the Link button and adding the URL.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

I certainly wish they (IPS developers) had maintained some semblance of continuity between the old and the new in regard to links, Webb.

The editor is their choice, not ours. They have gone to their own customized version of CKEditor.

If you are not happy with it, i would suggest posting on their Community Forum and sharing your thoughts on it and maybe they will change it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostWebb, on 19 May 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

Who are "they"? I suggested that "they" create an easier way to make plain text links.

I don't want to do it your way and I don't want to do it my way - they are just workarounds.

I want "them" to fix this "improvement" that isn't an improvement at all.

How exactly do you want this feature to be implemented? Right now it is select text, click hyperlink button, past URL, and then click OK, and done. Aside from typing the BB code, it is about as simple as it gets.

What is the better way to do it?

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Good point Adam. I thought it was pretty easy as well. But then I have several blogs and fell right in with it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

You can select text or url, you can not select both simultaneously.  And clicking the hyperlink button pops up a box with only one option - insert url.  There is no way to edit the text.

Leaving you with something like this and no way to edit it,

http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=55065

Posted Image
Jim

#16 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

If you want text you can edit, type some text for the link and highlight it before click Link icon.

You can edit your text however you like after adding the link ... right in the editor window.

TEMPORARY TEXT FOR LINK

Same link text below but changed to what I want after I added the link.

Google Link Text
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

That would be a good feature request.... the link text in the edit popup.

Are you copying the text over from another tab as well, Webb?

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,940 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 19 May 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Actually I just highlight the text I want to link, click the Link button and it asks for the url. Then I enter the url, click ok and it is done B)

This is the same exact method I used on the old forum version so I am curious as to how the method has changed.

That's how I do it also, when I feel like doing anything beyond just pasting raw links. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

I can't believe IPS removed it either, but they did, and it was their choice. There have been many versions done since then and they haven't changed it.

If you really want it, I strongly suggest what I said earlier. Please go to IPS and submit a topic requesting it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

The first icon in the Editor window is "Toggle editing mode". If you need to edit the text or URL individually, this will easily enable you to do that.
I've already adapted to most of the forum changes and have already forgotten how it used to be.

I bet lots of people were upset about electric lights when they replaced gas ones too. :)
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#21 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

View Postsunrat, on 21 May 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

I bet lots of people were upset about electric lights when they replaced gas ones too. :)

Posted Image
Yeah our village lamplighter was pretty hacked off at the invention of electricity.  :rant:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,940 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Ah... gaslights. How I miss them. ;)

#23 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times...but only when one remembers...to turn on the light." ~Albus Dumbledore

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users