58 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

According to my AirPort Extreme base station:"Interference robustness should be enabled when you are in an environment with other 2.4Ghz devices that may be interfering with your network.  Devices that can interfere include certain wireless telephones, television repeaters, or microwave ovens."But I do remember a similar option when I had my old linksys network, it was like network boost or something.  If your existing network has that turned on, then you should have Interference robustness turned on.

#52 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

I would be interested in seeing how 3D software works on the mini, something like Blender, not sure what else is available for OSX, if someone cares to try it out.

#53 OFFLINE   fhaber

fhaber

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

(Airports in general).This is another area I'd like to know more about.  Apple Airports have a reputation of being more robust under heavy interference than most.  And  then there's the useful little wallwart thing that can stream your music - very creative design, that.(Manhattan is 802.11 ****.  You're lucky if the signal can get through ONE concrete-block and wetwall-plaster wall.  A survey in this room shows *eleven* other wireless networks, a third of them open.  If I walk to the windows in other rooms, I can pick up eight or so more, at "good" or better.  Some brands of routers just go into fibrillation, and have to be reset every few hours, their stacks full and their little brains fried.)

#54 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

So, my use of my Mac Mini is starting to stagnate a bit. I could use your help! What should I explore next?  The Mini has occupied a temporary place in my "labs" (my office), and I'm now rearranging my office just for this computer. I want it to be easy to get to. But ... what do I use it for? I'm not really able -- for professional reasons -- to make it my main computer, much as I would like to. (Or, at least, I can't do that if and until I become totally addicted to Macs.)So, what should I check out? I know some of you have suggested some things already, but I'd appreciate any new thoughts anyone has.-- Soct
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#55 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:33 PM

Personally I think you should chuck out all pcs except for one to run Linux and replace the rest with Macs.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!  :">

#56 OFFLINE   rbdietz

rbdietz

Amiga Exile

• Forum MVP
  • 486 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Scot, on Mar 31 2005, 06:25 PM, said:

So, my use of my Mac Mini is starting to stagnate a bit. I could use your help! What should I explore next?  The Mini has occupied a temporary place in my "labs" (my office), and I'm now rearranging my office just for this computer. I want it to be easy to get to. But ... what do I use it for? I'm not really able -- for professional reasons -- to make it my main computer, much as I would like to. (Or, at least, I can't do that if and until I become totally addicted to Macs.)So, what should I check out? I know some of you have suggested some things already, but I'd appreciate any new thoughts anyone has.-- Soct

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KVM switch with your main system?

#57 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

Scot,Its going to be hard to suggest ideas, especially trying other apps since I'm sure you have paid a lot of money for applications that you use on a daily basis and have grown attached too......but that doesn't mean you can't try out various shareware apps...Some MAC ONLY RSS Newsreaders:NetNewsWire 2.0 (beta) - NNW has been in BETA for a long time... thats not a bad thing, because they are making GREAT progress... but there comes a time when a company needs to realize that NO application is final, sticking with the BETA tag only hurts them in the long haul.I personally like NNW the best!* Some people don't understand the pricing for NNW.  NNW 2 (alone) is $24.95. NNW 1.x is $39.95 because it includes NNW and a Blog editor.  NNW 2 doesn't include the blog editor its now sold separately but can be bundled.** Lite (freeware) version available.PulpFiction - Has some interesting features... $25* Lite (freeware) version available.NewsFire - Was released as freeware but then went to shareware: $18.99. Has a simplified interface.NewsMac - Has an interface that I don't care for personally, but it has its perks.  NewsMac Pro is in development, and looks to be a killer app.  Donationware....Some MAC ONLY Browsers:CaminoOmniWeb - Uses the same core as Safari (so if it looks good, or bad, in Safari it should look the same here)... has some cool features... $29.95...If you haven't tried the included iLife apps, they are all great: iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand, iTunes...OS X has the necessities to be a web server, you can always use it to test website projects....Instead of using ListGarden to generate your RSS feeds for the newsletter, give Feeder a try... has a boat load of more options. $24.95...Check out Modmini.com for some Mac mini uses....Pimp your Safari... from PimpMySafar.com...Buy a RadioShark... or ask to get one for review for your newsletter... and then use it to record radio broadcasts (with time shift recording)...etc....But then again, I don't know what you want to do with it, or how often you want to use it in your daily work habit.

#58 OFFLINE   Rando

Rando

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Scot, I too come from a Windows environment, except I never used a Mac in the past, and I just started using an iMac in December.  I had to get experience on Mac for a new job in a university sitting where 20% of my users are on Macs.  So far, I love it and have bought one for home use, but I can't keep my son off of it long enough to use it.  The biggest things I have had to get used to are the home and end keys.  What are they for?  They kind of act like the Scroll Lock on the PC keyboard.  The other thing I have to get used to is realizing when I click the X in the top left corner, it closes the window, but not the application.  I find myself with a half-dozen apps running in the background that I thought I had closed.  I am waiting on more reviews for iPhoto before I pass judgement on it, but so far all I can see it is for is keeping track of my pictures.  The editing is lame.  I WILL be saving up for PhotoShop!  As for applications, don't forget to look at some of the open source stuff.  Some of them have OSX installs, others can be a pain to install, so make sure they are worth the effort first.I will probably never get to the point where I toss my Windows PC out, unless XBox games really pick up.  I can really get used to this!

#59 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:45 PM

Suggest removal of dead link at KevinRose's site, PrivateDancer. Page not found.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users