IE will not download.

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

I have a WinXP Home system on my bench that was infested with spyware. I've removed all of it and also removed RealDownload off of it. Now IE explorer will not download anything. Gets as far as showing the download progress box but no time remaining information ever shows. The box is blank.I can install GetRight and that downloads but the native downloader to IE is not doing so. I've tried to reinstall SP2 but that has not helped any. Google search comes up nada. Any ideas?

Guest LilBambi

I guess you have already redone the winsock?http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.htmlYou might want to try that one specifically if you haven't tried it yet to see if it helps your problem.Also, I would see about the the ActiveX installed items...maybe there is something in there causing it to not work...like maybe something was downloaded to replace the downloader, and now that the spyware is gone it has some remnants left?Will also check some other stuff....would love to hear what finally fixes this one!!

Guest LilBambi

I guess you already tried the repair function for IE in Add and Remove in the Control Panel?Silly questions but sometimes it's the easy ones that we forget.

Guest LilBambi

Trying to reinstall just IE might help too:

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.Setup cannot continue.To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.
That is listed here in the MS KB.

James M. Fisher

Did you check the HOSTs file? There are known hijackers of HOSTs files that prevent WU and other sites from working or being loaded at all.

nlinecomputers

Fran,

I guess you have already redone the winsock?
Winsock was already replaced. (Thank you new.net) And I thought the same thing and tried to fix it agian. No joy. Besides other downloads work in FF and in programs outside of IE.
I guess you already tried the repair function for IE in Add and Remove in the Control Panel?
I would if there was such a thing in the CP. This is XP, remember it ships with IE6. :-(
Trying to reinstall just IE might help too:
That is a thought. Can you still do this routine post SP2? This system has SP2.James,
Did you check the HOSTs file? There are known hijackers of HOSTs files that prevent WU and other sites from working or being loaded at all.
It is clean. IE is the only thing having problems. WU works just not the regular downloads. I think the key to this was the fact that a third party downloader was installed. I removed Realdownload by uninstalling it and I think it broke something. I can install my favorite downloader GetRight and that works.

nlinecomputers

jaquoval gets the prize! The information was incorrect because it was for 5.5 but the idea was on the mark. So I installed Crap Cleaner and let it clear out all the Temp Interent Files. Presto I've got downloads that work. Shoulda done that anyway on a spyware infested system. Thanks for the V8, dude!

:thumbsup: Glad the info helped. I had run across that article last week while trying to fix a 'broken IE' on a win98 system after a 'purge' (mis-matched dll's for that one). Just had to track down the link again.