Mandriva 2007 HP PSC-210 Scanner problem

jimtheplanner

jimtheplanner

Festive Greetings,It's a long while since I last posted. And a good few things have changed in Linux land. I was a soild suse dude, however since the M$ deal I've been a bit concerned. Not being an expert I had always suppoted suse purchasing the retail version from 9.3 through to 10.1. My concern was mainly my reliance on this distro & where would I turn if it all hit the fan. So I dabbled with Ubuntu/Kubuntu & Fedora Core 6. However, the more I considered distro long term futures the more I thought about the which offered the best long term stability. What if Mark Shuttleworth ran out of cash? What if Oracle pushed Red Hat out of the market place, where would fedora be. Indeed what if M$ purchased Novell. The best option I considered was Mandriva 2007 Powerpack. So here I am in Mandriva land & I'm happy; I have a nice warm feeling with the way the community supports the future direction & financial long term of the distro.... Time shall tellAnyway my problem (one for Bruno) how do I configure my HP PSC-1210 so that Kooka can detect it. Thanks in advance for assistance (sorry about the long pe-amble) I had to get this off my chest B) Jimthe-almost happy-planner.......

What if I get hit when crossing the street ? What if my computer explodes ? What if I run out of coffee ? Questions, questions, questions. Don't make your life hard Jim, try to enjoy it if possible. :D Now let's see what we have here.Got hplip on board ? If not install it.Then reboot. (yes)When you login, a window will pop up and ask if you want to auto configure the printer/scanner. Say yes. It'll take about 1-2 minutes, and then use kooka (Startmenu -> Multimedia -> Graphics -> Scan and OCR program) to do the scanning. I'm assuming here that your printer/scanner isconnected via USB.In theory that should be all. B)

jimtheplanner
What if I get hit when crossing the street ? What if my computer explodes ? What if I run out of coffee ? Questions, questions, questions. Don't make your life hard Jim, try to enjoy it if possible. :D Now let's see what we have here.Got hplip on board ? If not install it.Then reboot. (yes)When you login, a window will pop up and ask if you want to auto configure the printer/scanner. Say yes. It'll take about 1-2 minutes, and then use kooka (Startmenu -> Multimedia -> Graphics -> Scan and OCR program) to do the scanning. I'm assuming here that your printer/scanner isconnected via USB.In theory that should be all. B)
Cheers Striker what if indeed - sorry about the long story but I do feel better.I think you need to walk me thought this I've not quite found my feet around Mandriva yet - sooo how do I find out if hplip is installed??

KDE > Run command > type 'mcc' (without quotes).Your root password will be asked, type it in and hit enter.Mandriva Linux Control Center will open up, select Hardware tab in upper left corner.In the right pane now look for 'Look for Installed Software and uninstall software packages'.Click on it.The Software Management section will open up now.At the top you'll see a search box : type in it : hplip and hit enter.In my case listed were :hplip-hpijs-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0 and hplip-model-data-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0, and I even don't use any HP components;If hplip is not listed it is not installed.Post back please with the result of this detective mission.

jimtheplanner

Ok I have hplip-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0 hplip-hpijs-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0 hplip-model-data-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0All ticked up & I presume installed??Side issue - I've just discovered how to ripp music on to my box via K3B - is'nt Lunux a dream....Ok what should I do now striker......

Power on the HP PCS Jim.Go to the Hardware tab: click on Set up Printer(s), print job queueus.In the next dialog which will come up there are two tabs : select the tab Configured on this machine.Are there any printers listed and if so is yours there ?Next,close the window,back in the MCC tab Hardware click Set up Scanner in right pane.You will see 3 or 4 wide bars in the next dialog, but at the top of that will be some text displayed. Is there some text and what does it read?

jimtheplanner

Ok Striker,It says Hewlett-packard psc 1200 series is not in the scanner database, configure it manually?.......................................

jimtheplanner

Your a rare comodity Strker - a good neighbour...... B) Let me tell you wher I am, I installed 2007 last night just on "peak time" when the world goes on line between 6 & 9pm my 8mB line drops down to a few kb's ( a BT problem) So once installed my updates were gona take some 4 hours or so to complete - my plan was to go on early tomorrow & update or possibly reinstall & update.I guess I need some updates to configure this scanner?

Well, there are two possible scenarios we can select from, either Search for New Scanners in the MCC, or another one, namely uninstall the hplip stuff and after that re-install hplip through MCC. Then, reboot.When you login, a window should pop up and ask if you want to auto config the printer/scanner. Say yes.It'll take about 1-2 minutes, and then use kooka (Startmenu -> Multimedia -> Graphics -> Scan and OCR program) to do the scanning.So if I read correctly you're planning a reinstall with all updates bells and whistles. I would suggest then try option 1 above : Search for New Scanners and see what it comes up with. Make sure the PSC is powered on.

jimtheplanner

Thanks Striker,When I did the original install I was in a hurry, & did not pick the best of passwords etc. So my thought was to follow a more "controlled" install & update I shall follow your options tomorrow & post back sometime later with my results.RegardsJim

Hi JimThere was a bug in the original harddrake shipped with 2007 that did not configure the scanner part of your HP-PSC ( I have the HP PSC 1310)If you have all the updates installed you will have the bug-fixed version of harddrake already installed.So then what you do ( what I did ) was install "xsane" ( I like it better then kooka ) with

# urpmi xsane

Next you go to the MCC --> hardware --> Printers . . . and remove the printer ( installing/removingthe printer does the scanner part automatically too )Next add the printer again the usual way . . . and when done look in your menu under "Mulitmedia"-- "Graphics" and you will see "Xsane" . . . fire it up and press the button "Aquire preview" . . . . and you will notice that the scanner actually works . . . the rest is a piece of cake.:D BrunoPS: If like me, you like xsane better then kooka . . . you can go in the HP printer toolbox ( in the menu under monitoring ) on the first tab "Functions" there is a "configure" button . . . click it and from the pop-up window you get change the "Scan Command" from "kooka" to "xsane -V %SANE_URI%" B)

jimtheplanner

Hi Guy's,Bruno, I followed you advice I have used sane before & I'm happy to use it again. My box is fully loaded with all the updates. I've added in xsane, hplip was installed. Following Brunos instructions when I re-install the printer with printerdrake I get a warning......."Could not install sane packages! Scanning on the HP 1200 series will not be possible"Again if I fire up sane I get a "No devices available" warning...I've have to make the hospital visiting times so I shall be back on later on......Cheers

Hi JimTry this: make sure you are connected to the net, and have the "Main" and "Contrib" urpmi sources configured ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=503&st=358 )Then do

# urpmi  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/main/updates/rpmdrake-3.19-1.1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

( NOTE: this command is just ONE line !! )Next try to do the updates again and see if there are new updates.After that you go in the MCC --> Hardware --> Printer . . and add a new printer ( yep just leave the old one and add the exact same printer ) and when asked make this new printer the default one.Next test this new printer and see if Xsane is now behaving . . . if it does you can delete the "old" printer in the MCC.( NOTE: I just finished doing it this way for a PSC 750 at a friends house and the scanner now works ;) ):D Bruno

jimtheplanner
Hi JimTry this: make sure you are connected to the net, and have the "Main" and "Contrib" urpmi sources configured ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=503&st=358 )Then do
# urpmi  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/main/updates/rpmdrake-3.19-1.1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

( NOTE: this command is just ONE line !! )Next try to do the updates again and see if there are new updates.After that you go in the MCC --> Hardware --> Printer . . and add a new printer ( yep just leave the old one and add the exact same printer ) and when asked make this new printer the default one.Next test this new printer and see if Xsane is now behaving . . . if it does you can delete the "old" printer in the MCC.( NOTE: I just finished doing it this way for a PSC 750 at a friends house and the scanner now works ;) ):D Bruno

Whoops! I did not mean to copy this !!!!Bruno, there are a lot of updates should I go for the lot?Jim Edited by jimtheplanner

Yep . . better do all of them.- If you are on broadband do all at once . . - if you are on dial-up do them in batches, first the bug-fixes ( the harddrake ones, because after that you can do the printer/scanner ), after that the security updates.:w00t: Bruno

jimtheplanner

Hi Bruno,I followed your instructions, after the update. When I go to install the printer I get the same message as before:-"Could not install sane packages! Scanning on the HP 1200 series will not be possible"Again if I fire up sane I get a "No devices available" warning... Are we running out of options? Or perhaps is the 1210 getting a bit long in the tooth (Xmas is coming)?RegardsJim

Hi JimLet's check: when you go in the MCC --> Software: and you type in "sane" exactly what packages are available and which ones are installed ?:w00t: Bruno

jimtheplanner

Ok Bruno,We have 4 packages:-lib64sane1-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0libsane1-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0sane-backends-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0xsane-0.991-2mdv2007.0Good or bad?Jim......

Okay . . . do this:We remove the packages:

# rpm -e lib64sane1 --nodeps# rpm -e libsane1 --nodeps# rpm -e sane-backends --nodeps# rpm -e xsane --nodeps

If they all go without errors or additional messages do:

# urpmi xsane

This will install libsane1 as wellnext:

# urpmi libsane1-devel# urpmi sane-backends# urpmi libsane-hpaio1

And tell me if you get any problems from those commands.:w00t: BrunoPS: Are you running an AMD64 bits system ??

jimtheplanner

Hi Bruno,I am indeed running an AMD64. I followed you comands. The removed packages went without a problem. I reinstalled xsane with the adiitonals. The olny problem I had was with:- urpmi libsane-hpaio1Which has the answer:-[james@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost james]#[root@localhost james]# urpmi libsane-hpaio1no package named libsane-hpaio1[root@localhost james]#RegardsJim....

I am indeed running an AMD64.
Ahaaa . . . . . there might be the problem, I was not aware of that one. Anyway let's follow the road we took and see if it works this time. Else we will have to start again using the 64bits sources.First do
# urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/libsane-hpaio1-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

And if that did not bring up any errors go to the MCC --> Hardware --Printers . . . and add the printer again, let's hope this time it maybe works.:teehee: Bruno

jimtheplanner

Sorry Bruno,A basic mistake I should have informed you of my "64" status.......Followed the last instruction & got the following:-[james@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost james]# # urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpm[root@localhost james]# urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpmSome requested packages cannot be installed:libsane-hpaio1-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libhpip.so.0)Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) y[root@localhost james]#RegardsJim

Edited by jimtheplanner

Hi JimWe will need to keep real good track of the packages we install . . . because these are all 32 bits packages . . . . . . Mandriva states that you can run 32bits software on your 64 box, so we will test if this is indeed the case :teehee: . . . . BUT, in case it does not work we will have to remove all the 32 bits packages and replace them with 64 bits to make sure that at least your printer works.See: of the libhpip0 there is no 64 bits so we will install the 32 one:

# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/libhpip0-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

If you get an error, don't force it but post the error so I can see what else we need.After that one we try again:

# urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/libsane-hpaio1-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

And see if this time it does not complain ;):) Bruno

jimtheplanner

Hi Bruno,Again sorry for all the hassle I'm begining to cause you...As before I followed your last post & got the following:-[james@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost james]# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooke...2007.0.i586.rpmSome requested packages cannot be installed:libhpip0-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libnetsnmp.so.10)Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)[root@localhost james]#I did not continue as you suggested..Jim

Edited by jimtheplanner

Okay . . . let us try this:We will add the 32 bits main sources, that will resolv dependencies, BUT I want you to exactly note down what packages it installs and post it on the forum . . . so in case we have to remove it we will know exactly what to remove.

# urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_main-32" ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/ with ./media_info/hdlist.cz

( Command is ONE line ! )and

# urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_contrib-32" ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/ with ./media_info/hdlist.cz

( Command is ONE line ! )After adding the source try to install the libhpip0 again:

# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/2007.0/i586/media/main/release/libhpip0-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

:teehee: Bruno

jimtheplanner

Bruno,It all went well here's the detail as requested:-[root@localhost james]# su[root@localhost james]# urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_main-32" ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...a/main/release/ with ./media_info/hdlist.czadded medium 2007_main-32wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (main32).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free64).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free32).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "2007_main-32"... ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man..._info/hdlist.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as ./media_info/hdlist.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.2007_main-32.cz]examining pubkey file of "2007_main-32"...performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (main32).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (main32)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free64).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free64)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free32).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free32)"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.2007_main-32.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "2007_main-32"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost james]# urpmi.addmedia --wget "2007_contrib-32" ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ontrib/release/ with ./media_info/hdlist.czadded medium 2007_contrib-32wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (main32).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free64).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free32).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.2007_main-32.cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "2007_contrib-32"... ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man..._info/hdlist.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as ./media_info/hdlist.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.2007_contrib-32.cz]examining pubkey file of "2007_contrib-32"......imported key 78d019f5 from pubkey file of "2007_contrib-32"performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (main32).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (main32)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free64).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free64)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Powerpack DVD (non-free32).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Powerpack DVD (non-free32)"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.2007_main-32.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "2007_main-32"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.2007_contrib-32.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "2007_contrib-32"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost james]# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooke...2007.0.i586.rpmTo satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:libhpip0-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586libnet-snmp10-5.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586Proceed with the installation of the 2 packages? (3 MB) (Y/n) y ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpminstalling /var/cache/urpmi/partial/libhpip0-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libnet-snmp10-5.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586.rpmPreparing... ############################################# 1/2: libnet-snmp10 ############################################# 2/2: libhpip0 #############################################[root@localhost james]# Fingers crossed.....Jim

EXCELLENT !!!!That does look promising: now do the other one:

And I will go back in the thread and see what else we missed so far :):teehee: Bruno

jimtheplanner

Bruno,It went well also:-[root@localhost james]# urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpminstalling libsane-hpaio1-1.6.9-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/partialPreparing... ############################################# 1/1: libsane-hpaio1 #############################################[root@localhost james]# Jim...