Game on Linux

rakemup

I'm not a big fan of computer games. I've always pretty much considered them a waste of time - and I like to stick with my linux distros and stay out of 'doze entirely. HOWEVER - For the past few days I'm spending more and more time playing "World Of Goo". From their web site - url="http://2dboy.com/games.php""World of Goo is a physics based puzzle / construction game. The millions of Goo Balls who live in the beautiful World of Goo don't know that they are in a game, or that they are extremely delicious."I have no affiliation with this company. THEY HAVE A LINUX VERSION and a demo version that is free. The full version costs $20 - which I coughed up after trying the demo. Money well spent so far. Everyone needs a little diversion on occasion.Now - if TurboTax would just put out a linux version, I could get rid of 'doze entirely!

securitybreach

Nice!!! Thanks for the info.I just found out that the demo and some other files are available in the Archlinux community repos:

╔═ comhack@Venus 06:40 PM ╚═══ ~-> yaourt -Ss worldofgooaur/worldofgoo 1.41-2 (103)  Physics based puzzle/construction game (Commercial)aur/worldofgoo-demo 1.41-1 (87)  World of Goo is a physics based puzzle/construction game.aur/gootool 1.0.1.366-3 (12)  World of Goo hacking utility (worldofgoo)aur/worldofgoo-gootool 1.0.1.366-2 (3)  World of Goo level creator and installer

Pretty cool Demo!!

securitybreach
Here's another one for fun - Raincat. It looks like a kid's game but I couldn't get past level 4. It's a little bit like Lemmings or Pingus.
Thanks!!! Gonna have to check that one out, too.
You might be interested in "Linux Gaming News" - http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/Do look on the right hand side of the home page which lists links for "Linux Gaming Sites"Alan
Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Raincat is in Debian repos for sqeeze and sid. apt-get install raincat. :thumbsup: My other faves are KoboDeluxe, gl-117 (awesome 3D battle flight sim!), Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid, Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer (3D!) and TORCS (car racing). And for fragging fun, Nexuiz. All in Debian repos.Others not in Debian repos - ManiaDrive, World of Padman (Manga fragfest), Jardinains2 (kinda breakout with pesky garden gnomes) :hmm: :whistling: B) :rolleyes:

Now - if TurboTax would just put out a linux version, I could get rid of 'doze entirely!
Have you tried the online TurboTax using Linux and FF? Their site says it requires Windows or Mac but it seems to work with Ubuntu. I was able to access the test pages but I didn't actually create an accout.

sunrat, nexius, in linux?
That's Nexuiz. It's based on Quake 3. There's a Linux version and it's also in Debian repos. Edited by sunrat

yes, i've played it before in (can i say it?) windows. was just surprised to see it in linux.
Probably just as surprised as I was to hear there's a Windows version! :(

securitybreach

Actually that is for the content download servers only:

Here is the Linux client beta v2.0 for Valve Software's Steam content delivery program. This will allow Linux users to run a Steam server.
Steam is only a download system, and does not allow you to play the games without installing them. So until games stop using DirectX, developers reverse engineer DX, or games use OpenGL, then most of your newer games will not be ported to Linux. I very much wish that this was not the case but unless Steam has managed to figure out a way to run DX 10 and DX11 games (that the Wine developers have not figured out), then it is not possible to run anything but possibly multiplayer servers. Also, the ironic part is that a lot of games have Linux clients for the multiplayer servers but not for the actual game. :thumbsdown:Hopefully this is the first step in bringing gaming to Linux and not just the emulated kind. I cannot wait for the day when I can format my gaming partition (win 7)

I`d like to try this one Yo Frankie! but I need a better version of blender it seems.
I've looked at this before but not tried it. So of course I had to! I downloaded the game files and installed Blender 2.49.2~dfsg-2 from Debian sid repo. And it works fairly well and looks great! There's a few rough edges and it was a little jerky occasionally, but quite playable. Now I just have to work out where the catapult is to throw the sheep onto and finish the 1st level. :hmm: :w00t: :DEdit: just watched the video. Need to throw the sheep into the water to bounce on it and get to the island. Could take a few tries to complete i think! Edited by sunrat

securitybreach
I'm not really into guitar hero type games, but thought this might interest someone Frets On Fire
Me neither but that is pretty neat and it can import Gutar Hero 1 and 2's songs.

• 1 month later...
securitybreach
Will Yo Frankie work with the 64 bit Arch :hysterical:
Yes it will:
╔═ comhack@Venus 12:26 PM ╚═══ ~-> pacman -Qi yofrankieName		   : yofrankieVersion		: 1.1-1URL			: http://www.yofrankie.org/Licenses	   : CCPL  Groups		 : NoneProvides	   : NoneDepends On	 : blender  Optional Deps  : NoneRequired By	: NoneConflicts With : yofrankie-demo-glsl  Replaces	   : NoneInstalled Size : 122296.00 KPackager	   : Unknown PackagerArchitecture   : x86_64Build Date	 : Wed 28 Apr 2010 08:44:59 AM EDTInstall Date   : Wed 28 Apr 2010 08:49:28 AM EDTInstall Reason : Explicitly installedInstall Script : NoDescription	: A 3D platform game based on the bully rodent in Big Buck Bunny

• 4 months later...

I could not get Yo Frankie to work on my Mandy install because od the Blaender version issue so it is nice to know that I can play it in 64 Arch. :rolleyes: Here are five Indie GNU/Lonux games that you might not have come across, free, paid for and the best of then is Machinarium. There is a demo. Graphics are tremendous and the game play is neat.http://machinarium.net/demo/I have not played the demo of Osmos yet but the video is pretty neat. I guess this game would suit laid back space cadets. http://www.hemispheregames.com/osmos/ B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...m&px=ODkxMAhttp://www.humblebundle.com/"The HumbleIndie Bundle #2Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $85 but we're letting you set the price!All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux.We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely. There is no time-limit on your downloads.You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase money is divided: Between the game developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the Child's Play Charity. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to the Humble Bundle itself would be much appreciated!"Worth subscribing to just for Machanarium. Looks like the Windows skinflints pay half the amount the penguin crowd pay. :hysterical: Maybe I'm being too harsh, could be that they simply can not afford to pay any more as they have already been bled dry by MS. :hysterical:

securitybreach
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...m&px=ODkxMAhttp://www.humblebundle.com/"The HumbleIndie Bundle #2Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $85 but we're letting you set the price!All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux.We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely. There is no time-limit on your downloads.You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase money is divided: Between the game developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the Child's Play Charity. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to the Humble Bundle itself would be much appreciated!"Worth subscribing to just for Machanarium. Looks like the Windows skinflints pay half the amount the penguin crowd pay. :hysterical: Maybe I'm being too harsh, could be that they simply can not afford to pay any more as they have already been bled dry by MS. :hysterical:
Kewl, I may have to buy this one since I bought the first Humble Indie Bundle pack. Great games!!

• 2 weeks later...