Laptop Screen Issue... I Think the Culprit is Dust.

Dr. J

Hi all...

I got a bit of a nasty surprise this morning when I booted up my Lenovo laptop ready to do some work. Although it booted up just fine, the screen had developed a nasty flimmeryness (if that's a word), with a turquoise, pixelated hue to it. Here's a picture...

http://imgur.com/a/kM7Jg

I'm assuming the problem is dust (or perhaps corrosion), so I grabbed a vacuum cleaner and de-dusted all of the easily accessible areas like the air intake and such... I even took off the back panel and brushed off the fan with an artists paint brush.

This didn't help unfortunately, and I'm currently searching the Internet for the correct way to remove the screen... The offending dust (if that is the problem) is probably behind it, or I could uncover a corroded connector.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any advice... If I can't do anything myself I'll probably bring it down to the place where I got the MSI screen replaced.

Regards,

Jay

I have replaced a laptop screen in the past when my daughter dropped her machine and it cracked. It's not a difficult repair but you have to be very careful to get the right replacement part. Also check and see if there are any YouTube videos available to see how to do it.

This company apparently sells in the UK. That is who I used to order the screen.

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Attach an external screen before you do anything else. If the external screen shows the same lines and turquoise tint, then it is the GPU and not the screen that is the problem.

I like to do some troubleshooting, ruling out things before I try and fix something that might not be the cause of the problem.

• Like 4

Works just fine plugged into the TV, so it probably isn't the GPU. When I opened it up there was quite a bit of dust around the hinges which I brushed off, but that didn'. Also, just now while I was looking through the BIOS for the exact model number, I moved the screen back and forth a bit and "Pop"... it's suddenly perfect again. I rebooted a couple of times to be sure, but when I was closing the lid while it was shutting down I suddenly get turquoise stripes again, although it's not nearly as bad as before.

I think I have it narrowed down to one of two things now. It's either a dodgy connector in the hinge, or it's because of some dirt that got into the plastic sleeve covering the circuit board, which a part of is probably still there.

V.T. Eric Layton

This looks like LCD back-lighting failing. In the Dell laptops its a small module that ignites the back-lighting. When it starts to fail it creates a streaked appearance. Eventually, you'll lose all back-lighting. At this point the screen will seem dead (black), but if you shine a flashlight on it at an angle, you'll see that the display is working; it just has no back-lighting.

Update on the scenario... the laptop has been working perfectly since around ten o'clock this morning (It's now about five past nine GMT). I decided I'd fiddle with it while I had my morning cup of tea. I powered it on and the screen was flickering quite badly, but as I was moving the top back and forth (playing on my hunch about connector in the hinge) it suddenly popped back to a perfect image. It's been consistent today throughout numerous openings and closings of the lid, and being lugged into the library and home again in my backpack.

My theory is that the dust around the connector was the culprit, that I managed to clear most of it and now the last few offending particles have been dislodged. If it happens again, the first thing I'll do is take a closer look at the connector to see if it's holding up and isn't loose or anything, then I'll troubleshoot further.

• Like 3

securitybreach

Hello,

Could be a loose internal video ribbon cable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I would probably bet on that being the case as well.

Hello,

Could be a loose internal video ribbon cable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

That does sound likely, but I still haven't had any recurring issues yet, I'm posting from the machine right now and everything's fine :yes: :hmm: . If more problems persist I'll do some more in-depth troubleshooting.