Wood Burning

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Wood burning season started for me about a week ago. I make a daily pilgrimage to

Casa Clutter, but in the fall it takes on a new urgency as the inside temperature starts

its inevitable slide. We're still in 'shoulder season' where one can burn the woods of

lesser weight and BTU's, Poplar and Maple being examples. In the midst of winter,

it's Oak and Locust, which give off the heat more robustly. Still, aside from all the work

involved, it's an enjoyable pastime and can be quite satisfying- and I need the exercise!

news2.jpg

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Wood burning? In my neck o' the woods, it's open-windows/fans-on time of year. LOVE IT! :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

Yup fire season here too, just in the evenings though. Only burning the trash at the moment, old chairs and tables, any old wooden furniture, pallets, in fact anything that will burn. I kept the cabin warm and generated enough heat to warm up the radiators just by burning a stack of heavy duty cardboard boxes one night.

The 12x6 and 10x4 joists will go next followed by real tree wood, mainly silver birch. I can only dream about burning oak. As I have made some modifications to the old burner my need for wood has fallen over the years an the cabin is a snug retreat in winter. I just love the fact that apart from a few quid spent on saws I have not spent a penny on fuel in the last twenty years. It can be hard work cutting and collecting at times but it is a tad more enjoyable than going to a sweaty stinky gym to keep fit and healthy.

:bounce:

• Like 2

As above and using old pallets doors and off-cuts from the new loft. But it has been surprisingly warm for the time of year . long time since we had such a shortener for the winter to come .Southerly breezes ,

That said There is a stock of coal in for when the trees are rimed with frost and there is a blanket of snow over all

• Like 1

This morning I got out the chop saw and demolished two doors two pallets and an old worktop . Filled a couple of wheelie bins .

They make great storage as with the lids they can be left outdoors in any weather ,and the stuff keeps really dry

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... don't be too hasty to snicker about your dad's choice of heating for his home. From the time it was completed till about 1971 or so, my house's only means of heating was a fuel oil furnace. I still have the flue hole in the wall and the copper line for the fuel oil here in my hallway; albeit hidden/disguised. Central Heating/AC were only for rich folks back in the 50s (my dad built this house himself from 1951 - 1953).

Here's what our heater looked like:

pFsaCwL.jpg

A pal of mine's dad used to come by about this time every year in a truck like this one...

jNOv3iX.jpg

... and fill up our 55 gallon fuel oil tank out back. It would easily last two winters, but dad always topped in off in October. It cost pennies back then to heat the entire house. And heat it this furnace surely did. If there were ever any complaints about this thing, it was that it kept the house too toasty. Sure was nice on those cold-arse January mornings when I had to get up early and get dressed to go to school.

I've considered (back when I had means and money) installing a modern day version of those old reliable fuel oil furnaces. My mom installed one in the cabin in NC. That thing was only the size of a medium sized suit case. It mounted right against the wall (with a brick backing, of course, to reflect the heat into the cabin) and used a couple teaspoons of fuel oil a week. Now it gets REALLY cold in them thar NC mountains, but that little heater would roast your patooties off. We had a 200 gallon tank up there. My mom only filled it twice in 9 years.

Ah! You can find anything on the Internets. Here's a pic very similar to the little Monitor brand fuel oil heater we had in the cabin. This thing is only 2' high by 2' wide by about 8" deep. Amazing how well this thing warmed that cabin.

VlRD2oS.gif

Anywho... thanks for the memories, Temmu. Made me think of mom and dad. Dad will be gone from this place 28 years come this Wednesday. My mom was gone 15 this past June. Time sure do fly.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

Cluttermagnet

Yup fire season here too, just in the evenings though. Only burning the trash at the moment, old chairs and tables, any old wooden furniture, pallets, in fact anything that will burn. I kept the cabin warm and generated enough heat to warm up the radiators just by burning a stack of heavy duty cardboard boxes one night...

The 12x6 and 10x4 joists will go next followed by real tree wood, mainly silver birch. I can only dream about burning oak.

Yes, your mates cut down a lot of forests for those tall masts and wooden hulls for ships, but OTOH they changed the world forever, for all of us- and in many respects, for the better. We Americans are lucky to still have a lot more standing timber. It's easy enough to cull fallen or unwanted trees for firewood. The able bodied, who are also lucky enough to live in particular sorts of housing, have it pretty easy so far as scrounging up some wood for fuel. Still, that's a minority of folks in any of the more densely settled US areas- most are paying dearly to heat with oil, gas, or electricity...

eric, i do indeed remember the oil truck coming by!

we used that oil for everything, paint thinner, cleaning solvent, and a rag-on-a-coat hanger torch to remove wasp nests!

clutter, one day i'd love to have a wood burning... stove, fireplace... :)

Your wish is granted...

Pick a size

bottlesgasmontage.jpg

Get jiggy with it

article-2460037-18a942ef00000578-346634x363.jpg

Do some fine jiggery pokey

imagesc96ae085e9e37965e5e3e248ef1f64c5.jpg

Paint the town

mrUszuC7JPOSal_l2K7B9rQ.jpg

Burn the candle

mDNcGnUdeeFx5URkE_eP5zQ.jpg

Roast a suckling pig

mXGILoVyT6h-N72PWPUc_Bg.jpg

Get out the silver

r2-d2-wood-burner-580x461.jpg

Feed your fantasy

r2-d2-2-580x439.jpg

Cost negligible, raised quality of life, priceless. :hug:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

eric, i do indeed remember the oil truck coming by!

we used that oil for everything, paint thinner, cleaning solvent, and a rag-on-a-coat hanger torch to remove wasp nests!

clutter, one day i'd love to have a wood burning... stove, fireplace... :)

HAHA! That's so true, Temmu. I remember that. That old #2 fuel oil was handy-dandy stuff. Sorta' like the WD-40 of the 50s and 60s. :)

Do Flogas do business over there. I made a candle dipping vat from one .Worked a treat . Could dip ten one inch candles on a rack . and had eight racks

Took about four hours to dip eighty candles /