Linksys and IP Addresses

bjf123

I've got a Linksys BEFW11S4 router that I use to share my DSL connection between two hardwired systems, one dual booting between Win98 and SuSE 8.2 and a iMac running OS X. I also have a Mac iBook connecting wirelessly. I'm currently using the default settings of the Linksys handling DHCP, but limited to only allowing 3 connections. The router has the default 192.168.1.1, with the three PCs starting elsewhere. I'm thinking I want to turn off DHCP and assign static IPs to the three systems. First, would that be any more secure, since the router wouldn't be handing out IPs? Is there any more security in changing the router's IP to something like 192.168.8.3? If I do turn off DHCP, is there a way in the router to only allow the three specified IPs? I've looked, but haven't come across any way to do that, other than letting the router handle DHCP and telling it what IP to use as the starting point.

nlinecomputers

Why not set the restrict you router by MAC address. That would limit you to the hardware that you have currently connected. Most secure method for restricting access.The only real way I can think of to restrict IP addresses would be by a subset mask.

The vulnerable part is the Wireless.To protect your self from casual Wireless "leaching" by a neighbor you can use MAC filter.All the playing with DHCP will not protect you from a deliberate sniffer, since he will sniff what ever IP is used.Link: Wireless Security. :lol:

Why not set the restrict you router by MAC address.  That would limit you to the hardware that you have currently connected.  Most secure method for restricting access.
I did that for the laptop that connects wirelessly when I set up the router. I didn't think to do it for the two hard wired systems. Thanks! I've got both WEP and WPA capabilities, but have a few quirks in trying to get either to work consistently.

Why not set the restrict you router by MAC address.  That would limit you to the hardware that you have currently connected.  Most secure method for restricting access.
I did that for the laptop that connects wirelessly when I set up the router. I didn't think to do it for the two hard wired systems.
Turns out there's nowhere in the Linky setup to filter for wired MAC addresses, only wireless.