PowerPack has been UPS shipped . .

Bruno

Got an email from Mandrake store today that my PowerPack in on the way from Paris to Amsterdam with UPS. Hurray ! Backing-up time has begun and I will hopefully be installing this weekend. Last time the way from Paris to Amsterdam took one night, and crossing Amsterdam from south to north took another 2 full days . . . . :) For those of you interested what you get extra in the pre-packed compared to the download version: Compaire: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/92/comparison General info about the 9.2: Features: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/92/mainfeatures Packages: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.2/features/15.php3 FYI: this was marked at the end of the email announcing the shipping:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THIS MESSAGE BEFORE THE INSTALLATION PROCESS A problem has been discovered with certain LG-based cd-rom drives andMandrake Linux 9.2. Prior to launching the installation process, please check BEFORE HAND on http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3that your cd-rom device is not concerned by this temporaryincompatibilty case.MandrakeSoft's and LG technical teams are working close in hands todeliver a solution for people who have LG cd-rom devices concerned by the problem.For any further queries, please write to:lgerrata@mandrakesoft.comThank you for purchasing on  www.mandrakestore.comMandrakeStore Customer Care Department
So this makes me think: No New ISO´s ( Well I don´t care the download version installed fine and gave me no problems ) :) Bruno

Unbeliveable, as I scroll through I said, pfft what a big deal, starter manual, but closer down to bottom when I saw both Win4lin and VMware, I was what??Bruno are these full version of software?If that is true then it is worth getting Powerpack just for these if not for nice box B) :D

Yep, and it installs the Nvidia drivers by default . . and Java . . and Realplayer . . . Flashplayer . . Bitdefender . . CrossOver . . Storix . . all that will be already installed as you boot the first time . . . . This is why my mainsystem has no 9.2 yet ( only my test system has it ) . . . I change my 9.1 only for a complete 9.2 !B) Bruno

I just want to know where is my email saying my copy is on it's way? Do I not have "Bruno" status with Mandrake and must wait a few more days?

Unbeliveable, as I scroll through I said, pfft what a big deal, starter manual, but closer down to bottom when I saw both Win4lin and VMware, I was what??Bruno are these full version of software?
Note at the bottom of the first page comparing the versions of Mandrake:
All extra applications are fully functional versions limited in time or demo versions.
There's no way Mandrake could include Win4Lin ($90 USD) and VMware ($290 USD) so that sounded fishy until I saw the note.

You have sharp eyes Jason . . had not even seen that. :)Well, I won´t be using VMware and Win4Lin of CrossOver Office ( don´t like emulators ) . . . . . . . but Nvidia drivers, Java, Realplayer, Flashplayer, Bitdefender and Storix are normal versions and those are the ones I want.:w00t: Bruno

You have sharp eyes Jason . . had not even seen that. :(
It's not sharp eyes, it's my cynicism :lol:I do find it interesting that they've included backup and anti-virus software, which is for mail servers and Samba (i.e. for silly Windows users B) )

PowerPack arrived today !!! . . . . . . Will hopefully be installing it tonight on the test-system first ( replacing the download version ) and on the Work-system later this week . . . . . that is if you guys will give me an early break tonight, I always have a lot of tweaking to do after the install to make it suit my needs . . :( :DSo don´t you all be posting too much, so I can get it done . . . . B) B) :( Bruno

Good luck! May it be a smooth install. I just put that other Ram stick I have been holding onto and am now testing everything installed to see if it all boots and works with 1 GB RAM. :)

PowerPack installed and tweaked on testsystem . . . all the old programs, mail, bookmarks, sensors, music, multiboot lilo, kdekdm, network printer, look and feel,. . all is done except for the 2.6 kernel, but I might wait till sensors are supported in the 2.6 . . . . Love the Powerpack everything works out of the box !:) Bruno

I have my tracking number. :)  Guess what I will be doing this weekend??? :lol:
Good !! Finally !! Congrats !! I will post a few remarks on the PowerPack later . . do read them . . . 'cause there is a few things you should know !:lol: Bruno

I think I'm gonna have to order the Power Pack...just seems like there is so much more......I'm assuming it's like the difference between Suse and suse pro....good, but better :lol:

IMPORTANT Remarks on the PowerPack: First remark:The CD´s are NOT numbered . . . . and there is a big chance you will be mixed up ! ( Not with the first 3, but the 4 additional ones ) . . . . even the names are NOT consistent . . . . ( has been with previous PowerPacks as well ) . . very confusing !! For example: If you install additional packages it will ask for "Contrib CD 7" . . you have no Contrib CD . . . but this is the "Supplementary Applications CD" So, CD 7 = Contrib = Supplementary Applications ! CD1 = Installation CD1 CD2 = Installation CD2 CD3 = International CD CD4 . . . . . is not in powerpack: international CD2 CD5 = Commercial Applications CD6 = Commercial Applications ( same as above ) CD7 = Supplementary Applications = Contrib CD8 = Sources1 CD9 = Sources2 ( I numbered them here but there are No numbers on the CD´s . . only names ( and even they are not consistent ), but your computer will ask for CD2 or 7 or 9 ) Print this out ! You see 9 CD's but there are only 7 . . because 3 and 4 are one and 5 and 6 are one too ! Second remark: If you run the GkrellWeather plugin in 9.1 . . . . . and you want it to work in 9.2 . . back up the plugins ( /usr/lib/gkrellm2/plugins/ ) from 9.1 AND the /usr/bin/GrabWeather . . Because the new version in 9.2 has a bug and will only show the weather of Sidney Airport ! Third remark: In Mandrake 9.2 Alt+F2 will get you the "Run Command" box . . and not Ctrl+F2 like discribed on the Mandrake-Club forum. Fourth remark: I had to select an alternative driver for the soundcard . . and install Aumix to get the sound to work properly. Fifth remark: Package selection during install . . as always pick all on the left and the defaults + KDE and Gnome on the right . . . and then go to individual package selection and add as much as you like/can ( konsole :lol: ) Have Fun with the FiveStar PowerPack . . . . . and read the troubleshoot section in the last pages of the book that comes with it. :lol: :) Bruno

A real tweaker has his priorities . . . . . . . sorry . . . .  :(  B)  . . . . . . installing right now . . . :DB) Bruno
I will cite the expert. If I disappear for a while it is because I have my priorities, or is that I have my Power Pack? B) :( :) ;)

There is one happy person here tonight. My Power Pack is installed. I did not have any problems with the identities of hte CDs. They seemed to be labeled as they were listed on the menus. <doing the happy dance!! B) >

It would have been much less than 3:18 and just one reboot if I had not spaced out and forgotten to tell it I had a flat monitor. I set it to a regular one and got a black screen so I did a complete new install. I think I used 5 of my CDs and installed 3.2 GB of data! I left my /home intact and thus was able to go right back in.Sound booted right up. The screen froze on the alsa config and I thought "Oh no" but then it said okay at the end of the line and as my KDE menu came up on the reboot I had sound. I also stopped to make a few floppy disks. I went to the advanced tab on the last screen and made an auto install and a package selection floppy.It also would have only been about half an hour but I spent a long time looking at my options! I went with the all on the left and the bottom three on the right and then I agonized over every option available. Do I need perl? Do I want all of the K apps? Do I want all of hte Gnome aps? Do I install or attempt to install my palm pilot? So many decisions. I installed way more than I need but probably missed a few things. I did make sure I had the Java installed and I selected all the games :( and most of the multimedia applications. I also installed most of the available html editors while I was at it. Sometimes you just feel like a kid in a candy store!Julia B)

Sometimes you just feel like a kid in a candy store!
Enjoy. I am glad I went with everything installs for first two distros. Made everything a lot simpler later. Also made the install decision time short. Of course I was also lucky that everything basically worked together.After spending a good part of the evening researching FC1 install issues I really appreciate the work that goes into proper testing of a Distro.