Raid 0 HDD to SSD ?

abarbarian

Hi I run my Windows 7 on a Raid 0 set up.

I want to use a ssd as my main drive insted of the Raid set up. Can I just do a straight clone using a ssd cloning kit ? The cloning kit I have uses a cut down version of Acronis.

:hmm:

(if your os is providing raid 0 without the hardware, your are truly wasting a hard drive, and probably running slower than a single hard drive.)

Thanks.

Your observation is not right. I tested my drive as standard, short stroked in various configurations, and in Raid 0 with short stroked drives. The Raid 0 short stroked was faster in all respects by some margin.

:breakfast:

Hello,

Most SSDs come with either a disk cloning program or have one available for download, but you should keep in mind that Windows 7 (and newer) configure the operating system's settings differently depending upon whether they are installed to a HDD or a SSD. Some manufacturers, such as Intel and Samsung, provide utilities that tweak Windows to disable un-needed services and change settings so that the operating system will behave as if it was originally installed to a SSD, but I'd still recommend doing a fresh install to the SSD, just so everything gets installed and configured correctly the first time.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

as to a software-based raid 0, maybe newer pc's have enough cpu / ram to make them effective speed boosters.

(live and learn...) :)

I did some testing with some Samsung F3's which were pretty cheap. By short stroking them and also short stroking them in Raid 0.

Though I lost some storage space short stroking alone made the cheap F3 faster than a WD Caviar Black. and in Raid 0 they were faster at reads than a pair Velicoraptors in a RAID 0.

Have a look here,

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/shortstroking-hdd-t4021853.html

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/raid-windows-7-a-t4027395p2.html

6509-raid-windows-7-128kb7stroked0-1.jpg

As you can see I got some pretty impressive speeds out of the F3. I got a bit lost in all the testing and it was all new geeky stuff so I did not fully understand all the results. All I know is me computer seems way faster than it did and me games load faster and seem to run with no lag. So that is good enough for me. :breakfast:

• Like 1