Read write ntfs files on external usb hd ?

abarbarian

Does anyone have a linky to a idiot proof modern teenager friendly guide preferably with pics on how to read and write files to a ntfs usb hd from a Mac (think it has latest os) Thanks. :shifty:

Guest LilBambi

Need to know for sure. Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion are very different from each other.

There really doesn't seem to be much of a way open source that works right. And most maintainers of things like Open Flux, and a few others are no longer maintaining it. That pretty much leaves unknowns and some known pay to play methods. Haven't ruled out another open source method, but some work for one and some work for another, etc. Nothing works for all three of those 'cats' versions except the pay to play methods I saw.

Maybe you could find out for sure which version. That would be more helpful.

Blimey had not realised it was such a big deal. Poxy closed source garbage.

I'll find out which cat it is. Ta fer the help. :shifty:

Guest LilBambi

ntfsformac2012header-613x323.png

Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2012 - $31

This one is still under development.

Mac OS X does not support writing to Microsoft Windows formatted NTFS volumes out-of-the box. The solution is here. Tuxera NTFS for Mac is our commercial read/write NTFS software for Mac users. Tuxera NTFS for Mac delivers the fastest NTFS data transfer speeds you can have on Mac while protecting your data with its new, smart caching layer.

The software fully supports all versions of Mac OS X from 10.4 (Tiger) onwards, including of course Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) with its 64-bit kernel, and comes with advanced features only available from Tuxera such as support for NTFS extended attributes. Tuxera NTFS for Mac is compatible with popular virtualization and encryption solutions including Parallels Desktop®, VMware Fusion® and TrueCrypt.

Red emphasis mine

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

NTFS-3G + Ntfsprogs

That is their community version.

NTFS-3G is a stable, full-featured, read-write NTFS driver for Linux, Android, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, QNX, Haiku, and other operating systems. It provides safe handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 NTFS file systems. A high-performance alternative, called Tuxera NTFS is available forembedded devices and Mac OS X.

The release notes and the software changes can be found on the Release History page. Subscribe herefor new release notifications.

The latest stable version is ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2013.1.13, released on January 14, 2013.

This one is still under development apparently.

NTFS-3G Manual here. (sorry no pictures).

Guest LilBambi

Back in 2011, there was this video guide for this using the ntfs-3g and Mac Fuse.

How to read and write on an NTFS file system on a Mac

NOTE: I think I read that MacFUSE is no longer being maintained.

Here's a github installation walkthrough for it too with pics.

Thanks for the links. I think I could get OSXFUSE and ntfs-3g working on a mac but I doubt if the teenager could. Had not realised this would be so complicated.

Am I looking at this the right way ?

I have a usb stick formatted with ntfs containing some video files. I want to give this to a teenager who has a mac laptop and a usb hd (currently formatted to ntfs). The mac is full so she wanted to transfer the files from the usb stick to the usb hd but could not write to the usb hd.

I thought if the usb drive was formatted to ntfs then she could swap files easily with her friends (this would not be very often).

Could she format the usb hd to mac file system and take the files of the usb stick and put them on the usb hd ? The files are .avi or .mkv.

:thudna5:

Guest LilBambi

The short answer is yes. But, it sounds like she has a sliding puzzle situation. No where to put what is currently on the external HD while formatting it to Mac format.

Maybe she has a friend with an external hard drive big enough for the current data so she can format it and then move her data back on and copy the data from the USB flash drive once that is done since she can read but not write to NTFS.

Microsoft and Apple really should have dealt with this. None of the ways I have read about are all that stable. Except, maybe, that $31 pay to play way since that was a way that is I would imagine all in one.

It's more like the early days with NTFS on Linux. Linux has gotten much better at that than Macs at this point.

So she could format the usb hd to mac.Plug the hd into the mac laptop. Then plug in the usb stick. Then be able to copy files (.avi,.mkv) from the usb stick formatted in ntfs. ? B)

Could she format the usb hd to mac file system and take the files of the usb stick and put them on the usb hd ? The files are .avi or .mkv.

I think Bambi was assuming there was stuff already on the USB hard drive. Assuming that's the case, reformatting it to HFS+ (Mac filesystem) would mean loss of data.

Adam

Ok I think you all have given me enough info to sort the challenge out. Thanks.

crp why on earth would I want to use a limited old file system when I can use a better featured modern replacement ? NTFS runs on my two windows boxes and plays very happily with all the linux distros I have tried. In the early days I had to install ntfs-3g on a couple of distros but once installed no problems. :whistling:

crp why on earth would I want to use a limited old file system when I can use a better featured modern replacement ?

With FAT32 you wouldn't have had the original issue at all. Supported by MAC, Windows and Linux, no permissions issues. The only reason I would use ntfs is if I had files over 4GB to put on it; I have one 160GB drive for exactly that purpose.

• Like 1

With FAT32 you wouldn't have had the original issue at all. Supported by MAC, Windows and Linux, no permissions issues. The only reason I would use ntfs is if I had files over 4GB to put on it; I have one 160GB drive for exactly that purpose.

I know nowt about macs.

So are you saying that she can format the usb hd to FAT32 and plug it into her mac. Then plug in a usb stick (formated to NTFS) and transfer files to the usb hd. Or does the usb stick need to be formated to FAT32 aswell ? :228823: