Is an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 64 Bit?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

It's on a machine that Amenditman put together for a friend of mine. I was curious to know because I need to know if I need to download a 32 bit version of Linux Mint for it. I currently have a 64 bit version. I guess Bob will know for sure. I have a suspicion that the one he's bringing to me tomorrow is 32 bit, though.

Oh, and thanks for the info. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. That's what I'm figuring. Guess I'll go d-load that 32 bit Linux Mint real quick before I leave to go on my afternoon walk. :)

I finding conflicting answers online. Anyone have a definitive source?

I'm pretty sure the BIOS will tell you if the processor supports 64 bit instructions. Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm pretty sure the BIOS will tell you if the processor supports 64 bit instructions.

Well, I'll find out this week, huh? :)

It's on a machine that Amenditman put together for a friend of mine. I was curious to know because I need to know if I need to download a 32 bit version of Linux Mint for it. I currently have a 64 bit version. I guess Bob will know for sure. I have a suspicion that the one he's bringing to me tomorrow is 32 bit, though.

Oh, and thanks for the info. :yes:

Easy to find out. Try loading the 64bit LiveCD. If it works, then the CPU is 64bit. If it isn't, you'll get and error message saying it won't work with your processor. :shifty:

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm installing SP 3 on the newly installed Win XP right now. I'm done after this, though. Heading back inside for the evening. I'll continue with the Win customizations and Linux Mint install tomorrow. I already restored his My Docs from the crashed Win system. Used the Ubuntu I had installed on another partition of that old system to make the retrieval. :)

Cleaned all the gooey stickers off, too. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I can install Win XP Pro and the service packs in my sleep, practically. I've done it a few times over the years. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, I hear ya. Me too. ;)

I actually have SP1, SP2 and SP3 downloadable full versions so I can do SP1 (if necessary) and SP2 installs before even connecting to the Internet for security reasons.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I have the Service Packs on CD... and MS Security Essentials, too. I install all of it before I ever hook up an Ethernet cord. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, the Lewmur method worked very well. It's a 32 bit processor. That's what I figured, anyway. I downloaded a 32 bit version of Linux Mint earlier today. I'll install it tomorrow. Yay! :)

• 1 month later...

Late to the game: CPU-Z utility will tell you - looking for the EMT64 op-code/identifier. Some late model 775 Pentium 4s and (I believe all) Pentium Ds are. You can check the CPU ID (SL7D, etc) with Intel's CPU spec sheets.