5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jolphil

jolphil

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

Just had an scary incident with my Mint 18.1. Been rolling along for months with no problems until just a couple of days ago.There was an update and one of the items updated was virtualbox( which in this system I never used) along with updating some libs.
The next day i booted up and it went to the login screen,typed my password in and a pop up showed" initctl: unable to connect to Upstart" Followed with something like " no syndaemon process found"  
I googled it and found that is is somewhat common but with various reasons for it in the first place.  I found in Mint forums with someone else who had a similar problem. His way to solve it was to ctl-alt F2 and log in and purge virtualbox guest files,then purge virtualbox itself.
I will not try to quote the code as I am not really qualified,and do not want to cause someone damage to their system. I only want to alert users to my problem in case they have a similar incident.
Long story short I'm back in my beloved 18.1 :clap:
jolphil
Edit: I just booted up a second computer with 18.1 and the update from Mint was to remove virtualbox guest and virtualbox. This may be some kind of problem.

Edited by jolphil, 27 March 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Odd but at least you were able to resolve it.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

I had a similar issue after an LM update yesterday. I logged in as root on the console (Ctrl-Alt-F2) ran apt update, apt dist-upgrade, rebooted and the problem went away. I think some modules needed to get rebuilt.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

https://forums.linux...p?f=47&t=266431
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   jolphil

jolphil

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

raymac46:
Wow, looks like this was a serious update failure to bork that many Mint boxes as well as Ubuntu's and others too. At least it was documented well enough even for me to muddle thru.. :shifty:
jolphil
PS Thats where I got the hint as to what was wrong.Some other suggestions on other websites was to re install.

#6 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yes Linux Mint is usually quite stable.  There are often problems with VirtualBox though. At least this one was fixable without a reinstall.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users