Photo

How to do privacy and security

Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Posted by sunrat in Security & Networking
Best article I've seen on how to keep your stuff private:

https://www.privacytools.io/

52 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by Digerati )

64 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by Digerati )

Photo

Another Old Junker

13 Dec 2017

Posted by raymac46 in Bruno's All Things Linux
I have a post in the Windows forum about my wife's friend Shari who borked her Win 10 installation on her Dell laptop - and how I rescued her.
Shari had an old Gateway MX2067 laptop besides her Dell so I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could fix it up as a backup for email at least.
It turned out to be a real crashbox: Celeron M 1.4 GHz, 60 GB HDD, 512 MB DDR 2700 RAM. The absolute Max RAM would be 1 GB but I didn't have any junk SODIMMS and I didn't think it was worth it to spend $30 or so on a 1GB kit. The machine ran Windows XP back in the day. Of course it's a 32 bit model.
I decided that Lubuntu would be a good choice to at least try with this memory challenged junker. The machine wouldn't boot from a USB but it did have a DVD-ROM. I burned an ISO and booted it. No wifi but hey..it's Broadcom. I plugged in an Ethernet cable and started the install.
It took FOREVER but finally I got it configured and running off the hard disk. Lubuntu's driver manager had no Broadcom drivers but after more research I installed firmware-b43-installer and this did the trick. The wifi is working.
I'll set up Chromium so Shari can go in and get her email. No YouTube though - not with this old beast.
I am quite pleased with how well it runs. At least as well as it did with XP. And it's a lot more secure.

561 Views · 3 Replies ( Last reply by raymac46 )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 50 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Yahoo, Google, Bing

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS