Bye, Bye Mozilla

lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

I always vote. However, sometimes I do the Write-In Candidate thing. For the last Florida Gubernatorial election, I didn't like either candidate. I wrote in Elmer Fudd. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Webb.. actually, Elmer got quite few votes during that election. So did Bugs and Marvin the Martian. ;)

@ Lew... well, still not sure what you're not happy about with Mozilla, but that's OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If Moz did something you didn't like and you're protesting by not using their products anymore, that's cool.

To put it succinctly,

1. The CEO of Mozilla made a personal contribution in support of a ban on gay marriage in California. As I understand it, this was NOT a company policy, but personal.
  2. OKcupid responded to this by blocking Mozilla and putting up a splash page encouraging users to use a different browser.
  3. The internet exploded with little regard for what really happened.
  4. The Mozilla CEO resigned.

I think that about sums it up. This response is much like the personal views of Chik-fil-A's CEO, Dan Cathy. Personal views do not equal company policy.

Adam

• Like 3

securitybreach

This had nothing to do with the Mozilla Project as it was a personal view of the CEO at the time. He has since resigned but it wasn't like he was developing anything anyway.

I won't use OKCupid (whatever it is, I suppose some sort of dating service that needs free publicity) because of its policy of bullying.

This had nothing to do with the Mozilla Project as it was a personal view of the CEO at the time. He has since resigned but it wasn't like he was developing anything anyway.

He was forced to resign by PC pressure for doing nothing more than Pres Obama did in the same time frame. He DID NOT bring his political views into the workplace. He made a PRIVATE donation to Prop 8. The Mozilla org, OTOH, made a big deal of condemning his actions and did it as an organization. They made it quite plain that any view, other than that held by gay activists, WOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!!! Even some well known gay activists have publicly stated that such intolerance is unacceptable.
  • Like 1

Hello,

OKCupid is a subsdiary of InterActive Corp, aka IAC. Some of IAC's other holdings include:

• About.Com
  • Ask.Com
  • CollegeHumor
  • Dictionary.Com
  • Investopedia
  • Match.Com
  • The Daily Beast
  • Tinder
  • Urban Spoon

For more information see this Wikipedia article on the company.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

He's considered the father of javascript so Mozilla should remove all support for javascript from its code base.

securitybreach

Maybe it is just me but I do not understand why someone else's personal thoughts should even matter if it has nothing to do with the product you use. There are a lot of people (including developers) that I do not share the same values or ideas with. For instance, there are probably plenty of christian developers but I do not stop using their products just because I am an atheist. I dunno, I guess my point is that I could care less what someone believes if it does not directly affect me, even if I use their product.

For instance, Hans Reiser killed his wife but that did not stop me (or a lot of people) from using reiserfs until it became obsolete due to the development being stopped. A good product is still a good product regardless of the personal ideas of the creator. I guess it is the whole (opensource) idea of community versus a single individual or company that helps shape my thoughts.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Maybe it is just me but I do not understand why someone else's personal thoughts should even matter...

In an ideal world, personal opinions/thoughts on whatever would not come into play at all. However, in the $$$-driven world that we actually live in, companies (profit or non-profit) cannot afford to whiz off any of their investor base. They are forced to keep to the middle of the road as much as they can. They can never please everyone all the time, but they can do all that's possible to not whiz off a large chunk too blatantly. It's a fine line to walk, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me but I do not understand why someone else's personal thoughts should even matter if it has nothing to do with the product you use. There are a lot of people (including developers) that I do not share the same values or ideas with. For instance, there are probably plenty of christian developers but I do not stop using their products just because I am an atheist. I dunno, I guess my point is that I could care less what someone believes if it does not directly affect me, even if I use their product.

For instance, Hans Reiser killed his wife but that did not stop me (or a lot of people) from using reiserfs until it became obsolete due to the development being stopped. A good product is still a good product regardless of the personal ideas of the creator. I guess it is the whole (opensource) idea of community versus a single individual or company that helps shape my thoughts.

As long as the methods used to provide the data/product does not conflict with my moral standards , I usually don't give a whit about the producers lifestyle. usually , but not always. For instance , I was one of those who stopped using reiserfs and there are musicians whose music I will not listen to. No Mozilla is claiming they didn't make the person leave , only forced him out of being CEO. This is yet another blunder by Mozilla Foundation, of which there have been a few in the past couple of years, they should have just shutup ("stop digging").

I think the "rapid release" has effected their decision making processes.I also really wonder if there is really a point to having the Mozilla Foundation anymore.

a good friend, a systems consultant, always says, 'i have an opinion, but you'll never know it.'

i like that.

I had a co-worker say I would have voted for Hitler when he found out who I had voted for in a certain election (after someone else had said anyone who voted that way was "stupid" and I went 'oh really?'). I simply walked away , straight away. Later he apologized , which I did not accept. Naturally he was vocal of being of the political persuasion that claimed tolerance was the most important political attribute, just like the mob that came for the Mozilla CEO.

I am much more worried about the lost "net neutrality" that had existed before last week than the "net neutrality" of bandwidth.

So , any dogma of the SN board we should know about ? :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well... EXCUSE ME FOR POSTING OLD, UNORIGINAL CRUD HERE IN A POOR ATTEMPT AT HUMOR. WILL DELETE ALL.

Thanks for your input.

Well... EXCUSE ME FOR POSTING OLD, UNORIGINAL CRUD HERE IN A POOR ATTEMPT AT HUMOR. WILL DELETE ALL.

Thanks for your input.

oh come on, fess up. You are just padding your posts count.

:devil:

• Like 1