• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

When Firefox version 57 is released, only add-ons built on the new WebExtensions API will work.  As indicated in Martin Brinkman's article, Firefox will only support WebExtensions by the end of 2017, the following add-on types will be allowed in Firefox 57:
  • Signed WebExtensions.
  • Signed bootstrapped system add-ons.
  • Language packs.
  • Dictionaries.
  • OpenSearch plugins.
  • Lightweight themes.
Personally, it was the "rapid release" schedule that sent me back to using Pale Moon several years ago when I got tired of what seemed more like change for the sake of change rather than browser improvements.  As Martin said in the referenced article,

Some Firefox users who rely on certain add-ons may migrate away from Firefox to Pale Moon or another third-party browser that shares code with Firefox.

I'm glad I already made that move!
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#2 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

I wonder if the security add-ons I use on mother's win7 machine will still be migrated. Is Palemoon similar enough to FF that I could get an 88-year-old to make the switch?

I REALLY hope NoScript is migrated or I'm moving to something else on my linux laptop.
Registered Linux User 344759

#3 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

In my opinion, yes, Pale Moon is similar enough to FF.  The easiest thing would be for you to try it yourself to see if it would meet your Mother's needs.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:20 PM

Oooh, I'll bet this is going to raise hackles of many FF users.

#5 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

You got that right, Eric!
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

FF are making a fortune with me . I click on the adds just to help keep it going . If it stops working the way I like then I will go through the business of getting Palemoon up and running . I tried to get it going a couple of years ago but gave up as I was totally incompetent .. But now ....Ha HA . I just bet I will get it together just to prove to myself that I can do it .
Linux counter no . 393441

#7 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Palemoon is our default browser. FF ESR is our backup and this statement made me feel a bit better

Firefox ESR will run legacy add-ons as the change won't affect the extended support release version right away (the version is at 52.5 at the time of the release of Firefox 57. The earliest option for ESR is when Firefox ESR 59 is released in 2018).
So it looks like I have a year of not worrying about this. By 2018, I'll have read enough to see if I want to continue using FF ESR as a backup browser or switch to something else.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Palemoon 27.0.0 x86 . Up and running .Everything I need . Now just got to sort out a substitute for Ghostery .
o:)
Linux counter no . 393441

#9 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

Ghostery replacements are discussed in these threads on the Pale Moon forum:

Alternatives to Add-ons that use Jetpack/SDK extensions
Ghostery Replacement

dark_moon has screen copies of the settings he uses for uBlock Origin:  Ghostery Replacement
https://addons.mozil.../ublock-origin/
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

phooey, i like Ghostery. so PaleMoon is going to follow the Mozilla Foundation concerning the add-ins?
Currently i bounce between PaleMoon and Chromium, with a little SeaMonkey.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users