Single click to open programs in SuSE 9

GolfProRM

Okay... This is a bit annoying... How do I get it so I have to double-click on icons to get them to open in KDE and Konqueor in SuSE 9.0? Right now they're set to open after a single click, and it drives me nuts! I've looked through the KDE settings and Konqueror settings, but haven't found anything...

Hi Ryan, I don't have a SUSE box here at work, but I think it is in the control center, under behaviour. Funny though, I started using single click on windows about 5 years ago just to try it out, and I've never gone back.

RedHat had a wizard to set this up when you first started the GUI in the 7.x versions. They removed it as far as I can tell with 9.0. I stuck with default, but couldn't stand how to select an icon without opening the file or launching the program when all I wanted was the properties. But...it was a fun practice of patience. :whistling:In RedHat 9.0, it's under Control Center --> Perpherals --> Mouse. Double or Single, what will it be? :whistling:

In RedHat 9.0, it's under Control Center --> Perpherals --> Mouse. Double or Single, what will it be? :whistling:
In Mandrake 9.2 it´s the same place where you set single or double click :w00t::'( Bruno

"K" > Settings > Desktop Settings Wizard...(you can choose to make "KDE" act similar to "Windows"). :w00t:
Quint, that is too funny!! B) :) B)
I stuck with default, but couldn't stand how to select an icon without opening the file or launching the program when all I wanted was the properties. But...it was a fun practice of patience.
I found under "Preferences >Peripherals >Mouse" under the Gerneral Tab, single click options, there is a check box for "Automatically select Icons" with a delay slider. Works just fine.(That was for SUSE 9.0)

Whoopsy. Sorry if I wasn't clear. RedHat 9.0 is set to double click by default. So no problem now. It was the RedHat 7.x versions I had the fun with patience. I always knew you could change it; just never wanted to dig that deep. Some people like pain... uh, I mean, a challenge like that. It was an experience that one needs to experience at some point in their life time.

Yeah... it was under the Mouse settings... Now I just need to get everything re-setup again tonight... The real bummer about SuSE: with other distros you download the CD's ONCE, and then can install it as many times as needed... With SuSE ftp install, it takes 2.5 hours EVERY TIME you need a reinstall B)

With SuSE ftp install, it takes 2.5 hours EVERY TIME you need a reinstall    :w00t:
Just buy a boxed version Ryan . . . and SuSE will be happy and grateful for your support . . . B) :DB) Bruno

On my budget, not the easiest thing to do... until I can commit to a distro, I'm not going to buy it. If I really like SuSE, and decide I want it as my main OS, then yes, I'll buy it, but can't afford to buy every distro I want to test. I like what I've seen so far, but am a bit concerned with stability... will keep running it to see how it goes.

Doesn't it give you the opportunity to download it to a directory and install from there as if you were running an internal network?

Doesn't it give you the opportunity to download it to a directory and install from there as if you were running an internal network?
yeah, but I've never gotten that to work for me... Always end up with corrupt packages. I'll just hope that this install will work and I won't have to install it again for ahwile ;)

On my budget,  not the easiest thing to do...  until I can commit to a distro, I'm not going to buy it.  If I really like SuSE, and decide I want it as my main OS, then yes, I'll buy it, but can't afford to buy every distro I want to test.  I like what I've seen so far, but am a bit concerned with stability...  will keep running it to see how it goes.
I don't think you need to be worried about stability with SuSE or for most Linux distros for that matter. I've been using SuSE for about two years now and find it very stable (been using it since 7.3).Regarding getting the CDs cheaply, try eBay. A common misconception is that you need a credit card -- you don't.SuSE 9.0 CDs on EbayYou can download the entire SuSE ftp site and then do an install from there, as well. Peachy started a thread on how to do this here. You need about 5.5 GB of room to do this.You also don't need to reinstall Linux everytime something goes wrong. When you have problems post here and we'll try to help you fix it. It's rare to break Linux to the point that it won't even boot up to at least a console and even rarer that you can't boot from a recovery disk and fix the install. Keep track of changes you make, and usually back-stepping will enable you to figure out what went wrong.

Jason,Thanks for the info... The stability thing is something I'm testing out for myself as I've read many things about how linux is very stable, but I've yet to find a distro that doesn't give me fits... Mandrake 9.1 came very close, but felt slow... I like what I've seen so far, but haven't convinced myself that it's stable enough yet. As far as the CD's go, yes I could buy them on ebay, but if I'm going to buy them, I'd rather have the money go to SuSE than some random guy on the internet (even if they are much cheaper)... If the distro is good enough to warrant supporting, I'll support them. :)I've done the install from local machine (downloading the entire directory) with 8.2... Had trouble with package corruption and making sure I had everything downloaded, so ended up with more issues than I would have with the ftp install...The reason I had to do a reinstall is because for some reason, my /home partition was corrupted. I tried repairing it using the recovery CD, but didn't end up with a working system... when tried to boot, it would just reboot my system or hang right after it started loading (before I could see what was wrong)... I reformatted the entire drive to start fresh, so hopefully that will take care of the problem... It wasn't a huge deal as I just let it install overnight so I didn't have to worry about it.