20 of the Best Free Linux Books

securitybreach

securitybreach
Individuals wanting to learn about the Linux operating system have a large selection of books to choose from. There are many thousands of informative Linux books which are in-print and available to download or buy at reasonable cost. However, as many users are attracted to Linux for the very reason that it is available under a freely distributable license, some will also want this to extend to the documentation they read.The focus of this article is to select some of the finest Linux books which are available to download for free. The vast majority of the books featured here can also be freely distributed to others.To cater for all tastes, we have chosen a wide range of books, encompassing general introductions to Linux, books that concentrate on a specific distribution or application, books for programmers, as well as books that have defined the evolution of free software. All of the texts here come with our strongest recommendation. So get reading (and downloading).
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090405...ooks-Part1.htmlAlso, here is another great free Linux book: Introduction to the Command Line http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/introduc...ition)/12665426 You have to love the OSS spirit. The author just published the above book this month (Sep 2010) and has already released it for free online.

Wow!!! Josh! So many goodies. :rolleyes: I have a Linux folder in my FF Bookmarks Toolbar with a subfolder named How-To and this is where the link is going right now. Lots of reading for the coming winter.Thanks! :hysterical:

Some great books there! I just downloaded the FLOSS Command Line book (No.11 on the list), it looks excellent and they have a lot of other useful books at that site.

Yes every one of them are completely free.
Not all of them are completely free - that website needs to be updated. I took a few minutes to look through each title and one of the links listed even came up as 403 (access denied) error.I did however manage to grab a couple of titles geared towards Linux novice users. Edited by Tushman

securitybreach

Well a 403 is just a bad link but which ones are not free?I noticed that the "Two Bits" links has an option to buy but its still available for download. Maybe the others are same way.Found one: After the Software WarsThe author wants $3 to download but still a useful link.

securitybreach

Well I went though all the book links and found 3 of them with problems. Two of them cost money:After the Software Wars Linux Device Driverand the link for LINUX: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition was not correct. Here is a corrected link for the book: http://www.freebookcentre.net/unix-books-d...Sheer)-PDF.html

No problem :thumbsup:
I don't even know why I downloaded these....I swear, I'm such a lazy procrastinator. I've got a ton of free e-books that I've collected over the years and I think out of the 30 or so... I've read only 1 of them so far.I'm such a sucker for free stuff - can't help myself.

securitybreach

Do not feel bad I have literally hundreds of ebooks I have not read yet. Thats one of the reasons I recently bought a B&N Nook ebook-reader. For me, reading on the computers has too many distractions. I find it much easier to use a dedicated device.

For me, reading on the computers has too many distractions. I find it much easier to use a dedicated device.
yeah... I have to agree 100% with you on that. And getting a dedicated device is a great idea. Let me ask this then. Can you copy these PDF files onto a flash memory card and transfer that on to your new eReader? I've heard that not all of these eReader devices have a memory card reader slot.

securitybreach

The Nook has a SD slot and yes, you can load as many epubs or pdf you like. In my opinion it would be pointless to have a ebook reader that you could not load content on to. Most of the other ebook readers require the ebook to be converted into their proprietary format but the Nook can read basically anything. Also, plays mp3s for those audio books or music. Here are the specs if your interested: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/feature...specs/index.asp

Can you view the reading content with colour pictures like in a magazine or is it just B&W? I see it has a small colour screen at the bottom but the pics on the website only show B&W in the main screen.