Photo

My Life with Laptops

Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Posted by raymac46 in Hardware
Yes I'm typing up this post on a laptop - my wife got to the desktop first.
But the truth of the matter is I've never been all that happy with laptops. During my working life when I had a computer at all it was a desktop - only computer illiterate managers got laptops back then. I got a head office hand-me-down usually.
My first home laptop was also my first home windows PC - an 80286 12 MHz that ran DOS. It had a battery meltdown (literally) and destroyed itself after a few years. Then I went a long time before getting another.
My second one was a tank-like 1997 Compaq Armada that I used with Vector Linux. This was in 2008. It probably would still work but there ain't many useful distros today that run on a Pentium II 266.
Next I had a 32 bit Atom netbook - slow, weak and underpowered. Thank goodness for Linux. I also at one point inherited another 32 bit netbook my daughter hated. I could see why.
Finally around 2011 I got a real notebook. Unfortunately this one had an AMD P920 Phenom II quad and discrete AMD video - it worked OK with Windows 7 but eventually heat had its way - the video chip got desoldered from the board and that was that.
Its replacement is a Lenovo Flex2 15D APU which runs fine. It's also AMD but a lot better design. It's slow because of a 5400 RPM hard drive that I may replace some day - or not. I would have to tear the machine apart to get at the hard drive.
Then there's my collection of wounded puppies - an HP my daughter dropkicked off the bed a few times that I have in the workshop, and a 2010 Toshiba 64 bit netbook my neighbor gave me - that one my wife took away to use at her mother's house in Kingston.
And finally I have my test machine - a nice old Thinkpad that flies with Debian Sid. That is what I'm using now.
So totalling it all up I have had 9 laptops in 25 years. The majority were junkers I recycled with Linux. Only the Thinkpad approaches my desktops in quality of experience. Did I mention I've never been all that happy with laptops?

144 Views · 16 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Photo

Oracle Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 9 Released

Today, 02:05 PM

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
Oracle released Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 9, 64-bit only, for Windows 7, Windows 8x, Windows 10 as well as Windows Server 2012,  Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 R and Windows Server 2016 R2.  The update includes security enhancements.

For browser support as well as Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X, see Oracle JDK 9 and JRE 9 Certified System Configurations Contents. Java Version 9 is not compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista.  

Oracle does not plan to migrate desktops from Java 8 to Java 9 through the auto update feature.  Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you uninstall JRE 8 prior to updating.

Download Information

Notes:

• UNcheck any pre-checked toolbar and/or software  options  presented with  the update. They are not part of the software  update  and are completely  optional.  
  • Verify your version:  http://www.java.com/...ad/testjava.jsp.

Note
    :    The Java version verification page will only work if your browser has NPAPI support.  In that case, to check the version, open a cmd window  and enter the  following (note the space following Java):   java -version

14 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Lillian

Yesterday, 08:46 AM

My dear friend Lillian is now in the final stages of her long battle with lung cancer. She is in hospital now and will not return home according to her husband.
She is a sweet lady and I am very sorry. I'll miss rescuing her from the latest virus , network screwup or browser hijack. Bummer. :'(

42 Views · 4 Replies ( Last reply by ebrke )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 69 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Yahoo, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS