abarbarian

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/10/16/mozilla-and-telefonica-partner-to-simplify-voice-and-video-calls-on-the-web/

There are many free communications services, but you have to register for an account and also give up your personal information in exchange for the right to use them. Our experiment in Firefox Beta requires none of this. It makes it simple to communicate with your friends and family because you don’t have to sign-up for a service, or have the same browser, software or hardware as the person you want to call.

Firefox Hello enables anyone with a Firefox browser to make free voice and video calls without having to download software, plugins or even create an account.

A very interesting development. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/10/16/test-the-new-firefox-hello-webrtc-feature-in-firefox-beta/

Here is another link with a tad more information.

Still not sure why you think there will be problems with Alsa and Pulse.This uses WebRTC tech so it is browser based stuff, so if your browser audio works then this should work too. That is how I see it but I am not very familiar with the stuff so I could be way of here. :breakfast:

I really hope you're on the money there . I have some friends overseas that surely must think I've slid off the edge of the universe . I would dearly like to be having regular conversations with them .

I really hope you're on the money there . I have some friends overseas that surely must think I've slid off the edge of the universe . I would dearly like to be having regular conversations with them .

Install the FireFox Beta and give it a go. :breakfast:

Here is a link to get you started,

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-hello-send-and-receive-calls-webrtc

Edited by abarbarian

Thanks for that Abarbarian , I've just spent a couple hours rootling around all the info I can get . Just seems that the thing will not actually let me dial a landline number . Skype does . But the pig wont work on this pc.

• 2 weeks later...

I read you there . I unloaded Pulse a few months ago . It was interfering with the sounds on streaming videos .

Now I have to find a way of getting it back and configured for Skype .