Am REALLY struggling here...

kamicota

Hi all

ARE there any members that LOVE Color Infrared Photos -

Have been at this for the last 4 or 5 weeks --->>>

Even traded a brand new Olympus SP-620UZ - (never used) for a much older Nikon D40 thinking RAW way the way to GO

But even RAW has gone bye the bye to Jpeg Fine.

Do NOT want to Convert the Nikon D40 to totally IR - another $250.00 to $400.00 plus outlay. (or the Canon SX130IS)

Have tried with little or NO success in Gimp (Linux) and my OEM Photoshop. ALSO bought this too -

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290449625668?ssPage...984.m1497.l2649

Have just bought an infrared 720nm Filter for the Nikon. HOPING we will get some success here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/250965737003?ssPage...984.m1497.l2649

This is the effect I am after --->>>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamicota/6911.../in/photostream

Have even been seeing these type of images in my dreams.

Of course have feelers out in D40 forums etc

But right now before the Infrared Filer arrives am trying to get a march on all this.

KNOW this post may be deleted or transferred - BUT this new venture has led me to even REALLY stranger places for help

HOPE all can bear with me and hope there may be some pointers or help

Cheers for Years always

Colin

Edited by kamicota

V.T. Eric Layton

Colin,

I don't know baloney about this. However, friend Jay Lacher (MS MVP) from my Out of the Woods board is a photog hobbiest and computer guru. He may be able to assist you in some way. Tell him I sent you. He'll be happy to help if he can.

Link to Jay's photog site: http://www.photogallery2.jaylach.com/main.php

Link to Jay's support forum: http://www.support.jaylach.com/

Also, ChipDoc from my boards and from here is a photog fan. He may also have some info for you. ChipDoc PM --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...4&MID=17458

Sorry I can't be of more help. What you're doing is just not my forté, my friend.

Thank You Eric

You have given me a couple of more pointers to explore.

And THANK you abarbarian too

That tutorial takes you through SHOWING where to click for each step - and ALSO the finished color IR picture was somewhere near where I am heading. One of the first I have seen this way - all the others I have found have been the likes of a pdf.

Thank you both SO much

Cheers for Years

Colin

I first want to say that the picture you linked to Colin looks awesome. I can't be of any help but I would be much happier seeing images like that in my dreams. ;)

On a side note, I was going to ask where Chip as been. I have not seen him on this board in quite some time. Tell the ol' chap to drop in and say hello sometime. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Chip is still alive and kicking. You can catch up with him most days over at my Out of the Woods board. I believe, as is the case with Urmas, real life is infringing on Chip's Internet fun.

Speaking of missing in action... did we scare your wife away at OOTW, Ian?

Thanks again Eric

Yeah Ian - quite special seeing these type of landscapes in my dream images - NOW just have reproduce them somehow with the help of the D40 a Color IR 52mm Filter and one or more of the photo editing programs.

Have even tried HDR program - got some interesting effects - but without the greens turning white.

Oh well am enjoying even though a little frustrated with the journey

Eric - See that jay mentioned Paintshop - will have to search & see if there are any easier tutorials in there too..

And I also sent a PM to ChipDoc

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

Yep Eric & Josh

Have been housebound for over a month WITH the Color IR OBSESSION - and managed to save up ENOUGH pocket money to put to a Paypal Refund from another IR camera that the seller just ignored - SO now we be a little more composed and can even try the Nikon D40 with the soon to arrive Color IR 720nm Filter.

So now we have the automatic Point & Shoot Infrared and the D40 DSLR - up to 8sec Infrared Filter exposure and see where they both lead

And thank you ALL for allowing this OFF Topic post to continue

Cheers for years

Colin

Yeah, Chip's been busy trying to generate enough money to live on. Working 2 days a week definitely beats a blank, but...

Colin, IR photography is amazing stuff. Back in the "film" days, it wasn't such a big deal. You just picked up a few rolls of IR film and put it into your camera. But it's different in the digital age. Your camera's sensor is tuned to chop off everything outside of the visible light spectrum to reduce image noise. As a result, this isn't a Photoshop issue. You need the right hardware and that eBay Lumix has it. The sensor on that thing has been re-tuned to register in the IR range and it should work really well. Use it with a tripod, since the exposure times are going to be higher - sometimes significantly higher.

That Lumix was converted by Kolari Vision, and they've got a good reputation on both quality and price. I'm guessing that you've already seen their tutorials page. If not, there's a lot of worthwhile stuff there.

http://www.kolarivision.com/tutorials.html

The Lumix DMC-FH20 is what I'd call an "adequate" camera and it's a great way to get your feet wet without spending too much. If you really fall in love with IR after playing with it a while, you might consider having them convert a more capable camera.

Sorry to have been absent for so long, but that's the way it goes sometimes... >_<

Thank you SO much Chip

Nice to see you back - best of luck with that work MORE FULLTIME search

Am also waiting for a 720nm Filter for the Nikon D40 and will PLAY around with that too -

Kolarivision do all the necessary adjustments - yet do mention it can be hand held and work in the point & shoot mode.

Thank you for the link - and also bought their cd with all there tutorials too.

Now just have to be patient and hope Canada Customs pass this through fairly quickly

Cheers for Years

Colin

Am also waiting for a 720nm Filter for the Nikon D40 and will PLAY around with that too -

If you set it up for a long enough exposure time, you MAY get enough light to work with your unaltered D40. That's why I was surprised to read this:

Kolarivision do all the necessary adjustments - yet do mention it can be hand held and work in the point & shoot mode.

But it's been rather a while since I've investigated this; they may well have discovered a way to overcome the long exposures.

Hope customs lets your stuff through quickly!

Guest LilBambi
Yeah, Chip's been busy trying to generate enough money to live on. Working 2 days a week definitely beats a blank, but...

Sorry to have been absent for so long, but that's the way it goes sometimes... >_

Just great to see you! I have been far too long absent from Eric's forums too. Gotta get back over there too. Have been fighting trying to get well here after a bad batch of bronchitis.

@kamicota - Sounds like you may have your self a jem on the way. I do hope customs is quick as I am sure you are chomping at the bit to give it a test drive. (I know in the same situation, I would be. :) )

@Chip - Great to see you man. Sorry about the job situation. I hope only the best for you in the not so distant future.

@Fran - Get to feeling better!!!!!!! Hopefully this too soon passes. ;)

Ian

Edited by ichase

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Et-Al PLEASE excuse the delay in replying

Have been bed ridden fgor a week or more with a severe flu while waiting 11 days for the furnace to be repaired

And Ian the camera cleared customs in one day - can you believe that???

Now just have to set it up & see HOW do I USE it..

One perplexing bit of information I read in the advanced users PDF was to use a white paper for White balance which has thrown me for another detour of sorts.

So hopefully now we can get down to some SERIOUS readings - HOW-TO

Cheers for years

Colin

Have been bed ridden fgor a week or more with a severe flu while waiting 11 days for the furnace to be repaired
Definitely not fun. I hope you are feeling much better Colin.

Thank you Liz

It is STILL dragging on but at least we are at the computer again with an odd walkies.

Although Panasonic Infrared is giving me the collywobbles on HOW to actually use it.

So still experimenting

Cheers for years

Colin

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow, Colin. :( It is not fun to be sick in any way. I sure hope you're well on the healing path by now. :yes:

Thank you Eric

No it is still NOT any FUN - hope it doesn't go as long as a friend - that had it for 43DAYS - shoot mine has only been lingering for 14 days or so and it sure makes me feel my age :hysterical:

But now am able to focus (READ :o :'( :w00t: ) up on how to get this Panasonic to take Color IR Photos.

One moot point after reading :lol: pdf's was to use grass as the white balance manual set up - BUT the Panasonic ADVANCED Manual says to use a sheet of WHITE PAPER - HOW is that for a CURVE ball eh??? -heck would have to go to Arizona for some Green Grass after a DUMP of 1FT+ of SNOW last night.

And know as it is just a point & shoot - to set it at the lowest ISO which = 80 for this camera - SO a little progress is being made - while also using ONLY Normal Picture mode.

Never thought that at the TENDER age of 75+ I would have so much to learn - OH WELL - am still ENJOYING life - hopefully more to the Full once the Panasonic shows the way to - IF I need to convert the Nikon D40 DSLR too.

Hope this dopes not violate any rules - BUT have found a great source for IR conversions + many tutorials too --->>>

http://www.kolarivision.com/

So it anyone in the forums are into this I am sure llija (the owner) will help you all

Cheers for Years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

Guest LilBambi

So sorry to hear that Colin! Happy to hear you are finally feeling a bit better.

There have been some really nasty virus/flu bugs going around!

The flu bug, or sinus infection that went to bronchitis that I had left me so weak I couldn't make it through the day without shaking or falling asleep on the ferry ride after an appt for almost 2 weeks after I was technically better. It wiped me out so badly! I still am not fully back in regard to my energy level but it's better than it's been since I got sick.

Hope you continue to feel better and better! :yes:

Yeah Josh

Think you meant that link to Kolarivison - IT sure is

Fran

Thank you so much and yes I know what you were and ARE experiencing - energy virtually non existent - SLEEP has and is nearly a VIRTUAL companion - which all do not not fit in with a wanna get up & go Scorpio.

Cheers for Years

Colin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota