Question about IE10 upgrade

mac

I just downloaded the RTM IE10 64bit software from MS. Before I install, I have a question:

I run AdMuncher, DoNotTrackPlus, RoboForm and SpywareBlaster installed in IE (all up-to-date versions and updates) on this WIN7 Pro 64bit PC. Should I uninstall any or all of these programs prior to upgrading to IE10? Or, should IE10 automagically handle the upgrade without any problems?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest LilBambi

Hard to say for sure till you try. Didn't see much in the way of problems so far, but if you are concerned, disable them and reenable them one by one to see if you run into problems.

Worst case scenario, if it breaks IE, you can follow Microsoft's instructions to disable Addons in Internet Explorer 10:

Internet Explorer 10 is designed to provide an add-on free experience, and will play HTML5 and many Adobe Flash Player videos without needing to install a separate add-on. Add-ons and toolbars will only work in Internet Explorer for the desktop. To view a page that requires add-ons in Internet Explorer, swipe down or right-click to bring up the Address bar, tap or click the Page tools button, and then tap or click View on the desktop.

You can view, enable, and disable the list of add-ons that can be used by Internet Explorer for the desktop. Add-ons you can manage include browser helper objects, ActiveX controls, toolbar extensions, explorer bars, browser extensions, search providers, Accelerators, and Tracking Protection settings.

To manage add-ons

• Open Internet Explorer for the desktop.

• Tap or click the Tools button, and then tap or click Manage add-ons.

• Under Show, tap or click All add-ons, and then do one of the following:

• To disable an add-on, tap or click it, and then tap or click Disable.

• To enable an add-on, tap or click it, and then tap or click Enable.

[*]

Tap or click Close.

I have installed SpywareBlaster on Windows 8 and Internet 10 with no issues. And no issues with Windows 7. So, one would hope that IE 10 and Windows 7 would be the same way. Since I bet you already have it installed on Windows 7 and working, might be fine. But you could disable the protections until you get IE 10 installed and then try to re-enable them after the installation.

The reason I suggest that is that if you can't run it after IE 10 install, you won't be able to disable them before uninstalling.

I remember when IE 9 came out, Spywareblaster had trouble with it for a bit. Maybe there will be some other brave souls to try it out for you. ;)

On the other hand, looks like Rocky had no problems. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Fran and Rocky! I'll definitely disable them all before I start the upgrade.

Since Winter has returned (will be in the mid to upper 20's Saturday and Sunday nights) down here in the semi-tropical deep South, my normal Saturday on the golf course has been canceled, so this will give me something to do...