What is mrxsmb?

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

A number of people running Windows 2000 Server has random reboot due to error in mrxsmb.Yet, after searches online, there is no definite answer of what it does.On my Windows 2003 Enterprise Server, I also have similar warning based on mrxsmb. Any explanation is welcome.I may also check out MSDN and find more information about it.

nlinecomputers

Have you checked out eventid.net?They have a tool that can parse error messages from your logs. They often find things that have stumped me(not that it isn't hard to do to do that....).

Guest ThunderRiver
Have you checked out eventid.net?They have a tool that can parse error messages from your logs.  They often find things that have stumped me(not that it isn't hard to do to do that....).
That's exactly where the problem/issue came from.

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, today I received an email from EventID.NET, and basicaly, here is the email.

-----Original Message-----From: Mailer@EventID.Net [mailto:mailer@eventid.net] Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 5:02 AMSubject: Re: Event ID 1001Message:On a Windows 2000 server, at about the same time every night it will reboot itself, tried to upgrade to sp4 no joy, checked out event viewer, nothing out of the ordinary in there apart from memory.dmp events there seems to be an event for mrxsmb which happens just before the server reboots, have sent debug viewers over to micrsoft to which they advised that SP4 needed to go on.Any help would be greatly appreciatedThanks in AdvanceMike *******See http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventno...51&eventid=1001You are receiving this because you provided us with your email address so you can be contacted. If you do not wish to receive such emails, please reply to this message with the word Remove in the subject.
His sitatuation instantly reminded me because I also have smiliar warning messages except my Windows 2003 Enterprise Server doesn't just choke and reboot.

I was at a site tonight that I've done work before and was browsing the event log. Noticed an MRxSmb error message during the 10 minutes I was downloading updates from the Windowsupdate site. The Event Viewer was cryptic in its explanation but it mentionned something about a failed network redirector. Nathan is on to something in that it is SMB related. But what? I scanned through the Event logs and today was the first instance of the MRxSmb error. Coincidence? :ph34r:Thanks, LilBambi for the links. Found the Microsoft KB article referring to my specific error message. They say I can safely ignore this message.This article gives a good explanation of the MRxSmb error messages.

Edited by Peachy

Guest ThunderRiver

Peachy, thanks for that article! I find it quite useful. Though I do find it weird that Microsoft is not the one that's explaining what MrxSMB is.Anyway, now that I know what it does, but I still can't help that person fix his server. It is kind interesting that such error would cause crash. Nonetheless, Windows 2000 has always been quite sensitive to its environment, much less tolerable than Windows Xp/2003 Server family

nlinecomputers

Peachy,That was a Great link. So Thunder it looks like you've got a bug that M$ has patched and is being anal about releasing to the public. ;) Typical Microshaft crud. [RANT] THIS is why I try to sell Linux servers. At least the bugs are patched in the open. Even if it is not a well tested patch. _I_ can deside for myself if I want to risk it and not depend on a paid support call just to get a fix for Redmond's buggy software. [/rant]

Guest ThunderRiver
Peachy,That was a Great link.  So Thunder it looks like you've got a bug that M$ has patched and is being anal about releasing to the public. ;)  Typical Microshaft crud. [RANT] THIS is why I try to sell Linux servers.  At least the bugs are patched in the open.  Even if it is not a well tested patch. _I_ can deside for myself if I want to risk it and not depend on a paid support call just to get a fix for Redmond's buggy software. [/rant]
You got it all backward. It is not released to the public as single package; however, it is released as part of a service pack, which is free. Microsoft doesn't hold any responsibility to customers that desire to install patches ahead of time. Some of the patches are still in beta, and won't be finalized until service pack; thus, Microsoft is not "anal" about it.Lastly, if you want to get patches from Microsoft, you could always call them and get the address to download. Sometimes, other news sites such as Neowin would also leak patches as well (patches would would show up in service pack anyway)Finally, since I have taken away your backup, your statement about selling Linux doesn't stand in this thread.